Thread: Getting sheep sealed...

Default Getting sheep sealed...

I have a sealing question...My brother is coming up to hunt sheep with me this year and taking time off of work is difficult for him so we're in a bit of a time crunch. So he's going to want to fly home as quick as he can once we return home. If we get back in late on a Friday night or weekend, fish and game is closed.

SO, if he does get a sheep, can we walk into the State Wildlife Trooper office to get them sealed on a weekend? Or, can he fly home and I can get them sealed for him? Does he need to be present?

Thanks for any info you guys can give.

Pulled this straight from the regulations...

Sealing means having an authorized ADF&G
    representative place a seal on an animal hide and/or skull. Hunters must present the required items unfrozen (hide and skull for bears; hide only for lynx, wolf, and wolverine; ram horns attached
    to the skull plate for sheep; moose antlers attached to the uncut skull plate) in person. The sealing officer asks questions about when, where and how the animal was taken, and may measure the skull and take some biological samples. The seal must remain on the hide and/or skull until it has been transported from Alaska or until tanning process has begun.

If you are unable to bring in an animal for sealing within the required time, you must complete and sign a temporary sealing form so another person can have the animal sealed. This form must be presented at the time of sealing.

AZinAK

I've sealed them for clients after they took off. And I've taken them to the troopers to be sealed. Word of advice, only take it to the troopers if it's a no brainer. If it's close go to fish and game. I took a nine year old ram full curl to the troopers. Three of them aged it. One said seven one said eight and one said nine. Fish and game see way more sheep and know sheep a bit better.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

This same thing arose for a client of min last year.

The weather was bad & they didn't get back out of the field till 1 hour before their flight out of Fairbanks. So we met him at the airport so we could take it in the next morning to get it sealed for him.

One sheep was a solid full curl 8 years old,

THE OTHER ONE, was a Spindly 7 year old that was 3 inches short of a full curl.

WELL, You know what happened when I took it in to get it sealed, Troopers were there in Minutes to Sieze the smaller sheep & were wanting all the info from the other hunter aswell so they could start the investigation.

Long story short, The went all the way to Colorado to hand him his Citation, & rumor has it,it cost him $1500. Plus the loss of his Sheep.
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    This same thing arose for a client of min last year.

The weather was bad & they didn't get back out of the field till 1 hour before their flight out of Fairbanks. So we met him at the airport so we could take it in the next morning to get it sealed for him.

One sheep was a solid full curl 8 years old,

THE OTHER ONE, was a Spindly 7 year old that was 3 inches short of a full curl.

WELL, You know what happened when I took it in to get it sealed, Troopers were there in Minutes to Sieze the smaller sheep & were wanting all the info from the other hunter aswell so they could start the investigation.

Long story short, The went all the way to Colorado to hand him his Citation, & rumor has it,it cost him $1500. Plus the loss of his Sheep.

I know you said "long story short" but just curiosity...What happened to the outfitter? does he assume any responsibility for that too?

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I know you said "long story short" but just curiosity...What happened to the outfitter? does he assume any responsibility for that too?
    I was wondering the same thing. Isn't that part of the reason why there is a requirement for guides?

AZinAK

My guys (guides with hunters) witnessed two resident hunters harvest two undersized rams on private land. One way short... F&G would not seal them. Troopers let them pass (warning) and would not even return my calls??? Had plenty of pics and witnesses to make an easy case for troopers. We are all not created equal after all i guess.

The hunters were with their brother that lives in Soldotna.

Guide not required thing.

I have seen another Obviously undersized ram let go with a warning from Fish & game here in Fairbanks just because it was a younger guy getting it sealed when just a couple days later they seize one because they cant agree if its legal or not.

Just makes ya wonder.
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Wonder?! It don't make ya wonder it confirms what you've heard!!
    Depends on the day and depends on the trooper....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212