Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Starting point

  1. #1

    Default Starting point

    I need to figure out some sort of hunt.
    I've lived in Alaska for about a year and a half. I unfortunately had to sit the hunting season out last year.
    I'm currently in the valley, but I've purchased a home in Soldotna and I'm moving down next month.
    I've taken most of my big game with a bow, but I've got several rifles, I just enjoy the hunt.
    I've read the moose hunting is poor down there, but l love a challenge.

    What I'm looking for is advice on a starting point. I don't really don't have a list of priorities, but if I did black bear would be toward the bottom. (I've taken several)
    I am like most new hunters in Alaska as I have limited funds and means of travel. ( I do have a four wheeler )

    Any advise is greatly appreciated.
    I just really miss the hunt and I'm dying for something to look forward to.

  2. #2
    Member oakman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    My suggestion would be to look at a map and start to get an idea of where you might be able to get to on your 4 wheeler. After that, you can check various resources (this site is a good one), DNR is another, other publications, etc. and see if 4 wheeler use is allowed there. Then check with F&G about the species there.

    You might also find people on here that go riding in groups. The summer is a good time to explore, maybe find an area you might want to check out in the fall?

    If you're into bow hunting, there is always the Dalton Highway area for caribou. Long drive, but some amazing country up there.

    Richard

  3. #3

    Default

    Thanks oak.

    I agree, the arctic is beautiful! I spend half the year up there.
    Unfortunately being solo this year and with nobody to help with the 1000 mile drive the hull road is out if reach.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default Starting point

    I'm not sure exactly what your asking, so I'll point out a few things.

    It is true the moose population here is the worst it's been in 30 years or so.

    There are harvest tag options for sheep on the peninsula and possibly goats, don't recall for sure.

    Black bears are the most numerous big game species on the peninsula, except maybe sub legal bull moose...

    Brown bear continue to be an option, at least for a little while.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what your asking, so I'll point out a few things.

    It is true the moose population here is the worst it's been in 30 years or so.

    There are harvest tag options for sheep on the peninsula and possibly goats, don't recall for sure.

    Black bears are the most numerous big game species on the peninsula, except maybe sub legal bull moose...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There still are harvest tags available for sheep. All tags for goats are drawing and registration only.....

    Sheep hunting (via harvest ticket) on the Kenai these days is right up there on par to the moose hunting. There are a hand full of drawing permits available though. Brown, and black bear, via registration and harvest ticket (respectively), along with a decent chance at drawing a caribou permit for the Kenai mountains is a good way to go. There is a low number of goat drawing permits given out but they aren't really easy to get.....as well as the sheep. But the Kenai mountains are a BIG place and there still are sheep in there via harvest ticket. Looking on a map, finding a drainage and bushwacking in 15-20 miles one way (like I used to do it) is now a shot in the dark because of the low sheep populations. About the only viable way to go about it is find somebody with a plane and fly around....and that could mean a LOT of flying. Once you find rams then devise a plan to either walk in or land on one of the very few lakes available to legally land on, and walk in from there. Still a hard row to hoe, but can be done. The op says he loves a challenge.......lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  6. #6

    Default

    It's true I do love a challenge and misery for some dumb reason!

  7. #7
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    It's true I do love a challenge and misery for some dumb reason!
    Well then you should be a good sheep hunter.....

    The ongoing sheep hunter's slogan: The pain goes away, but the stupidity remains........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Well then you should be a good sheep hunter.....

    The ongoing sheep hunter's slogan: The pain goes away, but the stupidity remains........lol
    I like that one!
    I use to be a big chuckar hunter and our moto was, the first times for fun and the rest is for revenge!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    30

    Default

    i live in soldotna, im in the same boat as you , could use a hunting partner, let me know if your interested
    ill pm you my number

  10. #10
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,397

    Default

    I don't have any excellent suggestions for you for this coming year, but next November during the drawing/Tier hunt application period, you should consider applying for the Nelchina/Unit 13 Tier I caribou hunt for the following fall (2015). It's a guaranteed tag, but does come with restrictions (you can only hunt moose and caribou in Unit 13, so close-to-home moose hunting would be out). That said, it can be a great hunt and has pretty high odds of success for new hunters willing to put in a little bit of effort. That has been my go-to suggestion for friends new to hunting in Alaska these past few years, and we've made some great memories and filled many freezers in the process.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I don't have any excellent suggestions for you for this coming year, but next November during the drawing/Tier hunt application period, you should consider applying for the Nelchina/Unit 13 Tier I caribou hunt for the following fall (2015). It's a guaranteed tag, but does come with restrictions (you can only hunt moose and caribou in Unit 13, so close-to-home moose hunting would be out). That said, it can be a great hunt and has pretty high odds of success for new hunters willing to put in a little bit of effort. That has been my go-to suggestion for friends new to hunting in Alaska these past few years, and we've made some great memories and filled many freezers in the process.
    Thanks Brian

    I probably should've applied for it this year. I just couldn't limit myself to unit 13 for Moose. I really wanted to leave my options open, but I'm sure I'll feel differently next year.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •