Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Pebble payback

Default No Pebble payback

How about every drop of water that runs from the Canada border to Alaska.
    http://www.alaskapublic.org/2014/03/...Alaska+News%29
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

That doesn't really sound like "pay back" per se. Sounds to be more like a case of Canada's government recognizes the value of jobs. Good for them.

I'll be nice.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I'll be nice.
    I take it you don't believe that, with proper oversight, a mining outfit can run a mine with minimal risk to the environment?

I'll be nice.
    You're just way too nice...
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    I take it you don't believe that, with proper oversight, a mining outfit can run a mine with minimal risk to the environment?
    Since the OP linked a Canadian project I'll chime in.
    The bigger the project, the easier it is for more concessions to be made, or to just overlook environmental issues all together.
    Can't happen? Just research what is happening downstream of our PMs favourite mega project, the Alberta tar sands.
    When it comes to mega projects and jobs, environmental issues always lose. Our gov. recently signed a free trade treaty with China. That truly scares me given China's record on responsible resource extraction. Heck, it's as bad as Canada's in other countries.
    I'm a big supporter of mining and have worked in many mines over the years, but I'm also a big supporter of doing it right, and of not leaving a mess for our children to deal with. And, of leaving them and theirs enough wilderness to enjoy as we have.
    After all, there is a reason we all live where we do, and haven't moved to big city's "down South".
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Since the OP linked a Canadian project I'll chime in.
    The bigger the project, the easier it is for more concessions to be made, or to just overlook environmental issues all together.
    Can't happen? ....
    This project is tiny compared to what is proposed for Pebble:
    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Mount Polley mine tailings "pond" dam breach, into the Fraser River System, 4 August, 2014:

A vote for Pebble is a vote for this.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Sounds to be more like a case of Canada's government recognizes the value of jobs. Good for them.

Define minimal risk maybe?

Any mine that has had such 'environmental accidents' has been sure of themselves prior; that they have had 'proper oversight', don't you think? Just like how any oil company will preach that they are doing a top-notch job and they are professionals and there is no need to worry about accidents; and then all of a sudden they have an oil spill. How bizarre.

Risk is part and parcel of the biz - makes or breaks them (and collateral) and it is a mistake of judgement to think there is no risk.

Bristol Bay is far too valuable to risk. Easy decision for many.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by 68 Bronco View Post
    Bristol Bay is far too valuable to risk. Easy decision for many.
    Exactly. The risk outweighs the dollar....VERY easy decision for many.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Well, I never meant to voice support Pebble in particular, but it amazes me how anti oi, anti mining, folks in Alaska (really everywhere, USA) can be. How many of you are surfing this site on a purely wind and solar basis? How many of you use no grid electricity (coal and petrol driven) whatsoever? How many of you do not own a car, boat with a motor, or 4 wheeler? If any of you own or use any of those things then you contribute to the success and continuation of mining. Yet, you don't want mining. Do you not see the contradiction.

I define minimal risk as "minimal." Poop happens. Live with it. When something happens, you deal with it. Deepwater Horizon happened because of a culture of lax safety that is well known both in the gulf and on the north slope. If, as in the case of Pebble in particular, the risk is too high to live with, (and I think it is) then okay, but mining is a vital piece of the US and global economy and to pooh pooh it at every opportunity is self destructive.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    Any mine that has had such 'environmental accidents' has been sure of themselves prior; that they have had 'proper oversight', don't you think? Just like how any oil company will preach that they are doing a top-notch job and they are professionals and there is no need to worry about accidents; and then all of a sudden they have an oil spill. How bizarre.
    When you think about how much oil is being pulled out of the ground every day and how little is being spilled on the ground, they are doing a top notch job. For you to say otherwise is like saying an airline loosing one aircraft in ten years is a "death trap" with a horrible safety record.

BTW, spilled oil is lost profit. I don't think any company wants that.

To add a bit to Anythingalaska's statement: The CEO for the Polley mine was doing a Q&A, part of his response to a question about how this happened was: {rough quote} "If you'd asked me how this could happen two weeks ago I'd have told you it wasn't possible."

FL2AK-Old Town: "BTW, spilled oil is lost profit. I don't think any company wants that." Many organizations see investments in safety, for the workers and the environment, as lost profit. As long as nothing bad happens they get more profit, when something bad does happens it becomes "Poop happens."

I was more or less in favor of the Pebble Mine until this happened. I believed you could safely mine and prevent any harm. That is no longer the case after seeing what happened at Polley. I don't see how anybody could support Pebble now.

Spilled oil is a price hike to the end user not money loss to the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    I was more or less in favor of the Pebble Mine until this happened. I believed you could safely mine and prevent any harm. That is no longer the case after seeing what happened at Polley. I don't see how anybody could support Pebble now.
    Good man !!

Everyone in AK should see and consider this vid. Spread it around.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Spilled oil is a price hike to the end user not money loss to the company.
    Can't really argue with that.

I still support Pebble and pretty much all development. Like FLA said, the anti's are against anything except living in caves. Some of us like jobs. Fire away anti's...

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Some of us like jobs.
    The rest of us like sustainable jobs which aren't detrimental to the long term health of our grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and great-great-grandchildren...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast