Thread: What is your Favorite King rod/reel setup (singlehand)

Default What is your Favorite King rod/reel setup (singlehand)

Thinking of a 10wt for Kings and big salt creatures. I have a good selection from 3wts to 8wts. The 10wt will fill the quiver, (I think)....

What is your favorite 10wt setup? Include the length of the rod, the reel and line you prefer. Thanks

A 10 is a good next step for you. You'll get lots of use out of it compared to anything heavier. Go to a 12 or 14, and it's awfully specialized.

There are some soft-spined 10WTs out there. Don't waste your time on them. When you need a 10, you need spine. I really like 9', mounted with a reel having not less than 200 yards of backing capacity. Good drag a must. Line is really variable. I don't like to lug a bunch of extra spools, so I use a bimini to put a loop (12" to 15") in the front of my backing, then loop the rear of all my lines. With the long loop it's easy to do a line change to match the water using the loop-to-loop connection. I carry 3 lines with my 10WT (easy in a line wallet) and no bulk from any extra spools. Most used line is a Rio Outbound floater. Rio's Leviathin Sink Tip is my go to for deep saltwater. I really prefer the Rio Tropical Intermediate to any Teeny line for 10 WTs.

Thanks BrownBear, the trend towards lighter, thinner and faster rods, has me a bit worried about finding a 10wt with enough spine. I don't want to be on a float trip in the middle of fishing paradise, and find out a 35lb king was over the max on my 10wt. I'm more concerned with toughness than having the latest greatest fast rod. Care to throw out any brands/models that have survived the battle zone?

My all time pick of the litter is the Temple Fork TiCrX. Bomb proof, stout as can be and casts as well or better than any of three Sage 10WTs I own. Any of my friends that cast it immediately buy their own and shelve their Sages. Nice warranty, too.

My wife doesn't like (or maybe doesn't have the strength for it) to go through long fights with big fish using only one hand. But she doesn't like rods heavier than a 10 either. Her pick of the rods having a forward fighting grip is the Temple Fork Bluewater in the "Baby" size, though I prefer the LD model. Lightest rods out there with the fighting grip. Heck buy one each of the three models I've mentioned, and you still don't have as much money tied up as you will in a single Sage.

Brown Bear is right Ono the money. For big fish especially in Salt, I would spend much more on a reel than the rod. IMO it is hard to beat Abel reels. Large arbor Super 9 is perfect for a 10 wt. They have a nice anti-reverse that is nice too. Kings and Tarpon can burn up a drag. Never had any problems with Abel. Again just my opinion. Good luck.

I built a St Croix 12wt with an extended foregrip & put on a Lamson Konic #4 reel for Kings & Reds. Biggest king was 23lbs & a ton of reds on the Kenai & Klutina. I wanted a heavy weight rod that would handle those fish if fishing alone or fishing in a crowd. So far so good. Have a great season.

Sage Xi3 with Nautilus CCFX2
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Thanks all for the input....you have narrowed my scope of research...