Thread: Pillar Lake

Default Pillar Lake

Just looking for some information on hunting this area for brown bears, or if you can even hunt in/around the state park? Any help/info would be great!! Thanks

I'm guessing you are talking about Pillar Lake on the eastern portion of Afognak?

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/kodiak/afognak.htm
    http://www.nativesofkodiak.com/forms...mit_policy.pdf

Looks like you can hunt/fish there. No big salmon streams close by, only one within walking distance of the lake is due north and looks like very small system. Might be some good deer hunting there in August, low treeline and lotta alpine.

Unless you have a boat or something that spot wouldn't be my first choice. Kind of limited area to hunt being boxed in like that.

Tip for next time: Posting about "Pillar Lake" is kind of vague. Alaska is a big place, Kodiak Island is kinda vague, afognak is much better etc.

Are you the one who rented the cabin on Pillar this fall? If you stay on the east side of Izhut and on up through Saposa you shouldn't have to pay the $725 trespass fee. You can hunt Pillar, Tonki and Marrmot. No camping on Marrmot island.

Its bull**** you have to pay any kind of fee to hunt or be on the land.

Quote Originally Posted by AKRecurveAssassin View Post
    Its bull**** you have to pay any kind of fee to hunt or be on the land.
    That's no kidding! I have to pay $125 for a land use permit and $600 to hunt bear this fall! Now they're thinking of not letting anyone hunt elk here.
    https://www.afognak.com/wp-content/u...chure-2013.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Hilljack69 View Post
    Just looking for some information on hunting this area for brown bears, or if you can even hunt in/around the state park? Any help/info would be great!! Thanks
    When you decide where you're going to camp, let me know. I'll buzz over in my boat and pay you a visit. We fish and hunt deer/elk over there all the time.

I'm sure glad I got here in 1975. Killed an Elk on Afognak=didn't pay for any permit.Killed a bear off Karluk river= didn't pay for a permit. Hunted and harvested Sheep, no trespass fees. Now, it's still better than lower 48 BUT what will it be like in 5,10 or 20 years ?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    I'm sure glad I got here in 1975. Killed an Elk on Afognak=didn't pay for any permit.Killed a bear off Karluk river= didn't pay for a permit. Hunted and harvested Sheep, no trespass fees. Now, it's still better than lower 48 BUT what will it be like in 5,10 or 20 years ?
    Roland, you are on to something here. What is it going to be like in 10 years up here? Are we going to have to start paying even more fees to be on "traditional people's" land??? Its a crock of **** that we have to pay to be on any land to hunt or fish right now.

I will start by saying that I think private land ownership was the one of the worst things that this country adopted. I for one will never pay a trespass fee out of principle. However, the lands are privately owned (as far as I know) and no one is being forced to hunt there.
    Like it or not, anyone paying a trespass fee is actually adding to the problem by encouraging them to keep charging and increasing these outrages fees.

The bears are going to be only where the salmon are. No salmon in or near pillar lake sorry