Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10mm-kimber vs smith 06 or76 vs colt vs wilson vs G vs EEA vs Rock I

Default 10mm-kimber vs smith 06 or76 vs colt vs wilson vs G vs EEA vs Rock I

I have recently become interested in the 10mm for home defense, possible bear defense, carry in the truck during travel, and possibly concealed carry although this is less likely. Not looking for a big revolver vs little auto debate. I understand those pro's and cons pretty well. I have always been a big revolver kind of guy, but I think there are some good applications for a 10mm. I have read a lot of old threads here that have covered some of the brands mentioned in the thread title but am curious what you guys think.

If I were carrying as a service weapon every day all day, I would probably have to concede the attributes of the Glock, but I am not a LEO and darn those things are ugly. I have to admit that I have an aesthetic preference for the Kimber although some of their other pistols have gotten some mixed reviews. I haven't really heard anything bad about the Target II though. I have heard mostly good things about the rest that I listed too although I haven't heard much about the Wilson. Is it because there aren't many willing to pay the price for a Wison? I am going to go shooting with a buddy tomorrow who has a 1006 so that should be interesting. It felt good in my hand tho a little heavy when he brought it by the other day.

Interested in your collective wisdom as I am sort of new to the auto pistol world.

Thanks,
    Scott

Shot a 10mm glock today and it was pretty sweet. I know you said you weren't interested, but figured I'd say so anyway. It was surprisingly pleasant to shoot, even when compared to my 9mm.

I bet it would be even easier shooting it in a 1911 frame.

I expected more pop and recoil, given what it's capable of. The one today was shooting 180 grain fmj.

The S&W's have a pretty big advantage as they have probably the best supported chamber of all the 10's. They handle full house 10mm loads easily. Cast bullets are no problem as they have conventional rifling. The 1911 type 10's can have issues with full house loads due to unsupported chambers at the feed ramp. I'm sure there are instances of blown cases in the 1911 type guns. I have personally seen it on 45's, the 10's are higher pressure . Any of the 10's are fairly big, heavy guns. Nature of the beast.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

And you're limited on Glocks, because of the rifling right?

So for 10mm and bears, it's starting to look like a very specific set of models?

I have a buddy that is a Glock fanatic and he put an aftermarket barrel on to address the inability of the stock Glock barrel to deal with hard cast bullets. Now he says he is problem free.

The Glock is by far the most common...Smith hasn't made a 10mm in at least a decade or two. They are great guns if you can find one.

Several folks make a 10mm in a 1911 and they're a pretty nice package but all pretty similar as far as that goes.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

The wife and I both carry Glock G20sf hand guns, that I have installed after market barrels in. While they might not look 'pretty' they function when they need to. From my point of view, the Glock's are the 'jeep' of the pistols. Over the years we and friends that go 4 wheeling with us, have sorely abused our Glock's and they have never let us down. For when we are hunting, I have mine loaded with Buffalo Bore 220 hard cast ammo and I do not feel under gunned. I carry my G20sf daily and yes it is heavy but......
    When they first came out I had a Double Eagle 10MM and while the gun shot good, it was not one that I would take out in the woods and abuse. The 10MM round has a lot going for it as long as it is loaded to it full potential.

I like the S&W and changed the recoil spring at least every five hundred rounds. With my Colt I changed the spring every two hundred and fifty rounds plus new shock buff from Wilson
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have Glock and EAA 10mm and have shot handled and worked on about all of them. If you can find a Smith of Dan Wesson they are great, next best is get an EAA Elete or Match and trick it out. The Glocks are great work horses but I prefer my hunk of iron from Itily.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

The EAA is a stout good shooting gun for sure in 10mm. EAA vs S&W would be a toss-up for me.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I know folks say you can't shoot lead in Glock barrels but I shot IDPA for 10 years or so with G26/27, G19/23, G17/22, G34/35, G20/21 and never had a problem with them...all shooting cast bullets from wheel weights or cheap swaged bullets when on sale. The "secret" is you gotta clean your barrel...takes about 10 seconds with a brass brush.

I do have aftermarket barrels which are all conversion barrels to change to different calibers and one 6" 10mm for the G21 because I use it for hunting and I get a little more velocity out of it.

I carry Glocks of some type/caliber all the time because they work...all the time shooting lead bullets. I do carry Hydra Shocks in my "for people" carry guns (usually a G27/23) but everything else is LEAD. For woods carry, it's a G20 with a cut down grip and 200gr wheel weights because it's big enough for the bitty bears we have down here and an extra G20 mag.

Not trying to convert anyone, just telling you my experience and BTW...I'm a Glock trained armorer for what that's worth and have worked on and modified them pretty much since 1995.

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder!!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I love my Glock 20. Trigger pull was something to get used to at first, but nothing a couple hundred rounds down range couldn't solve I think leading occurs when your bullet (projectile) is not as tight of fit to your barrel. I shoot lead now with no problems out of Stock barrel, but I also clean it after each use with Wipeout.

Im sure Akrstabout will weigh in here shortly, he's put a few bullets through some big bears with success..where I have only punched paper.

Mark

The Wilson likely doesn't have many reviews as you suspected because of cost, having shot and handled several I will say that they are dang nice. They have a ramped barrel for added chamber support, which is a good thing for a 10 as Gunbugs stated. I have customized and shot many Colt Deltas, and they are accurate and also a nicely fit and finished pistol. The S&W is like a tank as are the EAAs, but they are heavy which while good at the range, kinda sucks for everyday carry. As far as the RIA and the Kimber go, although some folks have good luck with them I have seen too many problems to recommend them. I fit a beaver tail to an RIA last week, the frame was so soft I could have used my pocketknife instead of a file, it was a relatively new 45 and was showing signs of battering already. And I have seen a goodly amount of Kimber's small parts, safeties, slide stops, a couple grip safeties and other stuff just break for no apparent reason to make me leary of trusting my life to one.

My 2 coppers

I agree that Glocks are ugly but they sure are reliable and great for the weather we have here. I love revolvers the most but the G22's I have that Cold Bore Customs re-did the grips are great! I am considering a 10 mm for carrying when riding ATV and working around my property and it will be a Glock for sure.

I think comparing SA semi auto to a DA semi is hard since they feels so much different anyway. IMHO (for non revolvers) nothing feels as natural as a nice 1911 style semi. I have never had a Wilson but if I could justify the cost I would! Friend of mine has 2 and absolutely loves them.

One of the things I take into consideration is how well I can shoot with gloves on since I wear them a lot up here. The Glocks are head and shoulders above 1911s- my fingers in a glove just won't fit in the trigger guard and the longer pull DA autos (and most DA revolvers) always get fabric hung up under the trigger stopping the action instantly.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder!!![/QUOTE]

I really do get that the Glocks are a really good reliable gun. You might even say great considering their price compared to many of the other models I mentioned. I get it. I shot four of them today. Two of them were 10mm. I also shot my buddies SW 1006 and another that was a .45 and I can't for the life of me remember the brand now that I am trying. Darned brain! Interesting since I shot that gun the best. Anyway, it was an interesting and fun day. All the pistols shot well and I was able to make good groups with pretty much all of them. The 1006 was certainly the most pleasant/fun to shoot.

I did a rather unscientific but very interesting test while out there shooting. We had taped some colored 8x11 sheets of paper with a small target placed in the middle. I was shooting from a spot at about 7 yards. First I loaded just 6 heavy 10mm rounds in the 1006. With my buddy giving me a countdown and timing me, I shot them as fast as I could manage with any degree of accuracy. I placed all six on the paper(About the size of a bears head.) in seven seconds. I know that I will never get 6 rounds off at that range with a bear that wants me, but "bear" with me. Remember, this is a new gun to me that I had shot only one clip through before the test. Next, I took my Redhawk .44 that I have owned for something close to 20 years and did the same test with my heavy 300gr hard cast bear loads. Again, it took me 7 seconds to get all 6 rounds off as best I could. Here's the punch line. I only got three of them on paper! Pretty interesting data for the .10mm auto vs big revolver for bears argument. Thats not really the subject of my thread here, but I found it pretty darned interesting.

Thank you all for your input so far and I hope others will keep it coming. But please spare me the ridicule on how long it took me to get those shots off at such a short distance. ;-)

Scott

Hmmm.. You have me wanting to try the speed test now!

and another that was a .45 and I can't for the life of me remember the brand now that I am trying. Darned brain! Interesting since I shot that gun the best.

The "other" gun was a Springfield XD in .45. It pointed the most naturally of all the guns we shot and it hit where I was pointing as well as grouping well. The others grouped well, but the group wasn't exactly where I wanted it. Any thoughts on a possible 460 Rowland conversion for this gun?

Yep don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Yep don't do it.
    Now I respect your opinion Will but some rationale for your opinion would be helpful. Is is the .460 you don't like or putting in in the Springfield that bothers you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast