Thread: New Alaskan, New Sheep Hunter

Default New Alaskan, New Sheep Hunter

Hi Folks,

I'm new to AK. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about sheep hunting in AK. I just watched "Lace 'Em Up". I met Scott Leuber at the Sportsman Show in Wasilla. He's a great guy and I really enjoyed his video. I'm pumped and want to go sheep hunting this fall. I still don't have much of an idea where to go. I have a Stinson that is setup for bush flying. Is there any place a person could fly in, tie the airplane down, setup a base camp and then go hunting? I'm 60 and my knees aren't what they used to be so I'm hoping I can get a little closer to the sheep with the airplane. I'm not asking for coordinates to your favorite secret spot, but I need some direction as far as where to look. I'm willing to do research but so far, I'm coming up empty. I'm also willing to work at it and do scouting ahead of time. I'd also be willing to team up with the right person. I live at Anderson Lake between Palmer and Wasilla.

Russ

Russ I'd say look over the regs. Find a harvest ticket area that's within range of your plane and budget. Go on google earth and start looking for runways, then avoid them. They'll be full. Then come early July start flying some areas for kicks and giggles and stare out the window. As far as sheep hunting goes there is no stone unturned in alaska. So many planes and horses an hardcore sheep hunters. I'd random a guess it's all been hit and nowhere is a secret. Fly till ya find a pretty spot you like and be there early for the opener!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Elliotruss,
    I'm a new sheep hunter too. I've been twice on draw hunts, and we shot rams both times, but I'm still a new sheep hunter. Even if we hadn't shot a ram on either hunt I would still call them successful - based on the experiences we had and the country we saw. I had a guy at church tell me "you'll love it, and you'll want to go every year, or you'll only go once and you won't care if you ever go again" Apparently I liked it enough to give it a shot again this year. I haven't decided which range to hunt this year, or who I will hunt with, but I will still make it up into sheep country.

I live in the valley too. I'm happy to loan you my tony russ book about sheep hunting alaska and you can take it for what it's worth. You will probably learn quite a bit by looking through old sheep hunting reports and the gear thread.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

If you're near Anchorage, I suggest getting over to the sportsmans show. I think Joe Want is doing another sheep presentation on Sunday. Double check though. I went Friday, and it was GREAT. I could spend a lifetime listening to him talk about hunting.

The thing with sheep hunting is it's tougher to get info from folks then actually hunting sheep themselves. You've gotten. Some pretty good info so far. The best experience you will gain is by simply getting out there. You do have an advantage by having a plane. I'm not to familiar with Stinson so can't help you there. If you want to just bs about sheep hunting just shoot me a pm. I live within walking distNce of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    The thing with sheep hunting is it's tougher to get info from folks then actually hunting sheep themselves. You've gotten. Some pretty good info so far. The best experience you will gain is by simply getting out there. You do have an advantage by having a plane. I'm not to familiar with Stinson so can't help you there. If you want to just bs about sheep hunting just shoot me a pm. I live within walking distNce of you.
    Good info from info from all. Your part of including the aircraft into the equation could prove to be the steeper learning curve or at least add another dimension to it. Remember rivers do rise, if your going to have a look around don't do it in the afternoon heat and if the wind is blowing be VERY cautious in the mountains. This is the tip of the iceberg, be careful mistakes are deadly in the mountains, I've been fortunate to walk away from a couple of my bad judgements!! The plane can be a great help and added fun but it can also be a big impediment at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I can't figure out how to PM. Not only am I new to AK and new to sheep hunting, I'm pretty new to using the forum! If you can PM me, I'll be glad to reply if I can figure out how to do that. If you'd rather email me, my email address is russ.elliott@gmx.com

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by elliottruss View Post
    I can't figure out how to PM. Not only am I new to AK and new to sheep hunting, I'm pretty new to using the forum! If you can PM me, I'll be glad to reply if I can figure out how to do that. If you'd rather email me, my email address is russ.elliott@gmx.com

Russ
    Just realized your too new to the forum for pm's. I'll shoot you an email or you can email me at thesheephunter@yahoo.com