Thread: Honda 2.0 or 2.3

Default Honda 2.0 or 2.3

Does anyone have experience with the Honda 2.0 or 2.3 four stroke outboard engine. I am looking at buying one for my Cataraft and Achilles 12.5 for a kicker. This engine is aircooled and very light.
    Thanks
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

I love ours. Super light, no fuss, pushes the dinghy full of adults and dogs fast enough, even loaded, but obviously not on step. It is also so light that it is a non-issue when it comes to taking it on or off the dinghy and with the built in tank it is just a no hassle rig. If you plan to extensive exploring it may be too slow, but for running to shore and back it is just perfect. My kids used to like until they drove a dinghy with 9hp and now they belittle it - but when we let them loose with 2hp it is stress free. We have a 9hp kicker on the big boat and it is a wrestling match to move it around - very glad to have the little one.

Great motor, simple and economical. Light too.

Another option is the recent propane powered outboards in small HP motor. They are pretty slick and run well. No messing with gas and run for a while on a bottle. Can also use a larger bottle if you decide to do alot of running.
    A friend has one and I was impressed last spring bear hunting.
    BK

The 2hp pushes my 7.5 Achilles just fine, loaded up. I'm not sure about how it would do with the 12.5. The 2hp is super easy to put on and off the boat by yourself. My only complaint is that when you tilt the motor up when going ashore the gas will drip a little bit out of the vent on the gas cap. If you close the vent screw first, then something in the cap gets wet and causes a vapor lock sometimes.

The purpose of the 2.3 on my Achilles would be to put-put slowly around the protected bays looking for bears, or to get to the big boat. One of my friends mentioned problems going against a large tide, but I think I will take the risk.
    Thanks
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

I have the Honda 2.3 as my kicker, I bought it because it was air cooled and thought I needed it for the times when running really shallow water. But its pretty noisy. My Yamaha 2.3 is water cooled and much quieter and it has a neutral instead of the centrifical clutch on the Honda. I prefer the Yamaha. My Honda also seems to leak crankcase oil. I have a few Hondas and while I use it often it isn't their best product. But it is very light and that is why it gets used.

BUT my next kicker will be the Lehr Propane kicker because you don't get stale fuel in the carb which is the #1 cause of little motors not wanting to run (because they are used so infrequently). No need to drain the carbs, and or stabilize them. I live in Juneau but I know that AK Mining and Diving sells them, and I see you are in Anchorage.

Sobie2