Thread: Clam gun or shovel?

Default Clam gun or shovel?

Ok I am new to clamming. We are going to take a trip to Polly Creek this summer and am wondering what to take. A gun or a shovel? Your thoughts?

Gun, heading down tomorrow!!

gun for sure. If they are shallow though I can get em quicker with a shovel.

Remember - they are a whole lot easier to clean IF you do NOT break the shell..........

If you pull up too hard and fast with a gun you will break the shell. If you do not center them right with a gun you will break the shell.

I like to have one of each with me. I do like the gun better though. Once you get the gun figured out it seems to me it is a bit faster.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

How does pulling up hard and fast break the shell? Too many times I know I've centered the hole in the gun and went straight down, but somehow ended up breaking the shell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    gun for sure. If they are shallow though I can get em quicker with a shovel.

Remember - they are a whole lot easier to clean IF you do NOT break the shell..........

If you pull up too hard and fast with a gun you will break the shell. If you do not center them right with a gun you will break the shell.

Vacuum. It puts too much vacuum on the thin shell when you pull it fast and hard and it breaks the shell. You can tell for sure when you got him in the center of the plug, but his/her (hermaphrodites) shell is cracked up. You are pulling too hard and too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Vacuum. It puts too much vacuum on the thin shell when you pull it fast and hard and it breaks the shell. You can tell for sure when you got him in the center of the plug, but his/her (hermaphrodites) shell is cracked up. You are pulling too hard and too fast.
    Not that it matters, but the sexes are separate in razor clams. As far as which method is most productive, it depends on the diggers technique and tenacity. I use a shovel and when I'm dialed in I can dig faster than most novices using a clam gun. Although, I have seen some experienced veterans with a gun dig them faster than I ever could with a shovel.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Hands. Less effective, but WAY more fun!

Where i go, a coffee can works best

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

In all the years of clam digging ..... used to dig commercially at Polly Creek in the late '60's .... I've never seen anyone with a clam gun keep up with a clam shovel. Polly Creek sand is a different texture than Clam Gulch sand ..... and one small scoop followed by a quick neck grab ..... about a three second maneuver. The point is not to give the clam a chance to dive deeper. Push the shovel about half way in and hold pressure toward the dimple. The pressure will keep the neck from retracting. Don't remove a scoop of sand. While keeping side pressure ..... pull the shovel out quickly while getting your hand into the hole ....... one quick move. Don't wait till you see the neck or you'll miss it. If you're quick enough ..... you grab the neck before the clam dives. If you miss the neck in one grab ...... move on to another dimple. Nothing smashes clams like multiple digs. You'll work your butt off trying to out dig a clam ..... and it makes you look like a tourist when you try.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hands. Less effective, but WAY more fun!
    I was going to mention that! I've done very well in the past by just sticking my pointer finger in the hole and when they close their shell to dig, I bend my finger and pull them out.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly