Thread: Griz Rug

Default Griz Rug

Anyone have pix of their Griz rugs?

I am trying to decide on felt color. Leaning towards either red and dark brown or light brown and dark brown.

Smallish interior brooks range light colored body with dark legs boar. 7ish foot.

It kind of sucks that I don't have it back yet - I gave it to my taxi in Sept 2012. My brother got his lifesize back in 6 months.......and his caribou too (don't have the wife's caribou back yet from the same hunt either).

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Default Griz rug

I went with red on black.Griz Rug.jpg

Lots of grizzlies have two tones of colors, so I like to highlight both colors with the felt. I usually try to match up the color of the bear to the first layer of felt which helps thicken the bear, then toss on an accent color to the outside.

For my blond grizzly that I arrowed up north, I matched the inside color to the inside felt color and the outside bear color to the outside felt.

Bull,
    Juli (a sponsor here on O.D is opening her own studio right now in the valley) and I were discussing a camo trim for bears and she came through with one.
    Just a thought for ya.....
    BK

I have a black bear with red on black like frosties griz above. I think I am going to match them- even though I would like to go tan/brown.

My griz is probably going to be more the color of Jerod's above.

Ya - I think red on black it will be....maybe....................!

We do over 100 bear rugs a year & Most of the time we will ask the client if they already have a color sceme in mind , but Most will ask for our opinion.

We look at the colors of the bear & decide 1. What color will pull the most colors from the fur of the bear, then 2 we give it a colored border that will make the bear LOOK larger just by outlining the bear.

We always will use the darker color on the outside.

We have done some for other taxidermists like Jesse that wanted the lighter color on the outside but that was their preference.

Abstact colors like Light Blue , yellows, Too brght of reds Stand out too much & actually takes away from the actual taxidermy job , because every time you look at it your eyes ALWAYS go back to the boarder instead of flowing around the whole piece.

Same as putting an ugly rock or stick with a mount.

It looks out of place & distracts from the realism & beauty of the species.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

steele griz19.jpg

I asked my taxidermist's wife about colors and this is what we came up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    steele griz19.jpg

I asked my taxidermist's wife about colors and this is what we came up with.
    My bear is done like yours,still looks good twenty years later and ruff treatment at times.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I like the colors on your's Bill.

rm

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post

Abstact colors like Light Blue , yellows, Too brght of reds Stand out too much & actually takes away from the actual taxidermy job , because every time you look at it your eyes ALWAYS go back to the boarder instead of flowing around the whole piece.

Same as putting an ugly rock or stick with a mount.

It looks out of place & distracts from the realism & beauty of the species.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy
    Can't say it any better... (though I still prefer the darker color inside, or the color that most closely matches the hair. That, however is completely a matter of preference)
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

I got a call that the bou is in the drying stage. I was asked if I wanted the antlers stained or not for another 125$. They are removable, and I told her that I will do it myself. I was a bit surprised that it was going to be 125$ extra to stain them. I actually think that we discussed that and she was going to do that. I also am going to look at the Griz hide when I get the bou and hopefully it is in good shape - I have no reason to think it is not. If it is then I am going to take my refund (which I believe should be the total cost that I put down 50% of 1550.00) and have somebody else do the work for the rug.

Still very disappointed that I won't get both animals and that it has now been 20 months.

I will have some time to think about the rug border colors it appears......................

Felt colors are often times best chosen after the rug is stretched - especially with grizzlies, who often have highlights and unique colorations...so yes, you do have some time for that.
    charging extra for staining, if she did include that in the original discussions, is a bit of a questionable business practice. That is why all the decisions regarding such matters should be written down at the time a customer drops something off.

glad to hear the bou is drying and everything else seems to be working out all right.

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Got the hide back and looks like it is fine. Also looks like it is mine. See my caribou fur slip post for more information.....

I find on brown bear and grizzlies that colors that similar in color the the fur (brown, tan, beigh, Sandstones, cocoa, chocolate) to name a few makes it more appealing to the eye. I recomend to my customers that they Shy away from harsh colors such as blues, pinks, oranges, etc.. Bear pictured below was done using a light brown inner and darck brown outer color choice.

601291_463584187003815_1911817040_n.jpg

~Dahlbergs Taxidermy~
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy