Thread: $49 million from feds for fish, wildlife, conservation

Default $49 million from feds for fish, wildlife, conservation

Anglers and hunters visiting Alaska from the Lower 48 are often reviled as being from, well, Outside. But the 49th state is due to get its annual shipment of cash courtesy of those anglers and hunters, according to the U.S. Department of the Interior. Interior Secretary Sally Jewell announced on Wednesday that the 49th state will get nearly $49 million out of the $1.1 billion in federal revenue sharing being distributed to the states. Funding comes from excise taxes on fishing, hunting and boating gear. The only state that sees a bigger payday is Texas, which will get more than $51 million. Texas is a state less than half the size of Alaska, but it's home to more than 30 times as many people. The money comes to the states courtesy of the Pittman-Robertson Wildlife Restoration fund and the Dingell-Johnson Fisheries Restoration fund is earmarked for conservation and fish and wildlife management. In Alaska, these revenues finance most of the budgets of the divisions of Wildlife Conservation and Sport Fisheries in the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

As reported in the Alaska Dispatch, http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...dui-drugs-guns

You're welcome. Being an "outsider", I spent almost $1000 in licenses and tags alone last year, and harvested no big game or salmon. My wife and I did harvest a boat load of pike and a handfull of spruce grouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlander View Post
    ...You're welcome. Being an "outsider", I spent almost $1000 in licenses and tags alone last year, and harvested no big game or salmon. My wife and I did harvest a boat load of pike and a handfull of spruce grouse.
    "Thank You!"

Press Release: March 13, 2014

Contact: Maria Gladziszewski, Assistant Director, Division of Wildlife Conservation, Juneau, (907) 465-4114
    Wildlife Interests Worth $4.1 Billion to Alaska's Economy, New Study Finds

(Juneau) – Almost a million resident and visitor households embarked on at least one trip in Alaska to hunt or view wildlife in 2011, according to research presented in the recently published report, “The Economic Importance of Alaska’s Wildlife in 2011.” Along the way, the $3.4 billion spent by those hunters and viewers accounted for $4.1 billion in economic activity statewide.
    “Visitors reported that wildlife is one of the main reasons they visited Alaska,” said Doug Vincent-Lang, director of the state’s Division of Wildlife Conservation, “and residents said wildlife contributes to their quality of life and reasons for living here.”
    Of the $3.4 billion spent by hunters and wildlife viewers in Alaska in 2011, resident hunters and wildlife viewers each spent more than $1 billion. Visiting wildlife viewers spent $1.2 billion, while visiting hunters added some $150 million. That spending generated more than 27,000 jobs and $1.4 billion in labor income.
    “This study demonstrates what many instinctively know: Alaska’s wildlife is important to Alaskans and visitors. Because people value it, they’re willing to spend a lot of money here to hunt, view, and experience wildlife,” Vincent-Lang said.
    The report will be featured in a presentation at the Alaska Board of Game meeting on Friday, March 14, at the Dena’ina Civic Center in Anchorage, and the public is invited to attend.
    The research was conducted by economic consulting firm ECONorthwest, which gathered core data for its analyses through six interlocking surveys in 2012. The surveys were conducted by phone, Internet, and mail and information was provided by about 7,000 residents and 2,000 visitors.
    To see the report summary, visit the Alaska Department of Fish and Game website at www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/home/news/ongoingissues/pdfs/the-economic-importance-of-alaskas-wildlife-in-2011-summary-report.pdf (PDF 1,204 kB)
    "Grin and Bear It"

I'm confused.

We've got recent threads started by hunters insisting that Alaskans should start paying money for harvest tags, stating that AK Fish and Game doesn't even have enough money to do basic population survey studies.

But, now we have information stating that they are destined to receive $49 million.

They can't both be right.

Different buckets o money they be though.

Quote Originally Posted by bbags View Post
    I'm confused.

We've got recent threads started by hunters insisting that Alaskans should start paying money for harvest tags, stating that AK Fish and Game doesn't even have enough money to do basic population survey studies.

But, now we have information stating that they are destined to receive $49 million.

They can't both be right.
    49 million doesn't go very far, for one thing. For another, it has pretty tight strings attached to it. When all costs for administering tags come from the general fund instead of hunter fees, the budget also goes down very quick.