Thread: oh why, oh why can't get this bug to go away

Default oh why, oh why can't get this bug to go away

LAst fall I picked up a forbes 24B in a 30-06. I put a VX-3 2.5x8 on it and have been to the range with it once. I shot it five times and got a good with factory rounds. My PROBLEM is that I really, really want to get it either rebored for a 338-06 or send it to melvin and have rebarrel to a 338-06. I already have a cooper in a 338-06 that I use for moose, caribou, black bear, ect. The cooper weights in at a little 8.5 lbs and the forbes at 6.5lbs. I just keep thinking what a handy rifle the forbes would be as a 338-06. I honestly think the other one would be a safe queen. Talk me out of it and save me some money guys.

I would recommend doing it if that's the caliber that you really like. I have a Forbes rifle in .35 Whelen...they are available as a factory option...and it is a tack driver. If you could live with the Whelen instead of the 338-06 you could sell the 30-06 and pick up one of the new stainless ones for not much money. Though getting it rebarreled to 338-06 would make it unique.

swapdonkey - perhaps you've heard of J.E.S. reboring service in Cottage Grove OR ? I live just west of Eugene and have used Jess, as has a good friend who recently acquired a Kimber Montana 30-06 and had it rebored to 338-06 - It is now a tack driver ! Here are the finer points to be made in simply doing it this way: 1) WAY cheaper 2) the new bore will have CUT rifling 3) JES is reknowned as being competent and reliable (he's a super nice guy too) 4) 338 is as "small" as he does but you could go with a 35 Whelen if you wanted to - Personally, I have a Colt "Light Rifle" in 7mm Rem Mag that Mr Forbes is doing an ungrade on right now and I am really considering having it turned into a 338 Win Mag as I already have a perfectly good 7mm Rem Mag already - He did a 270 WSM into a 338 WSM wildcat for me and the workmanship is outstanding and cost was VERY reasonable

I have looked at JES reboring and I talked to Mr Forbes the other day. It would be a little over double for him to rebarrel it with a stainless barrel. The one thing that stands out in my mind is that I know it will shoot if Melvin does the work. I have not heard any bad things about JES, but i'm just not sure if I want to take the chance. Reboring would be about 300 and a new barrel installed would about 700. Either way I'm a good light weight rifle for under 2K.

Jess seems to be very proficient and I've not heard of anyone who was unhappy with his work - the fact that he cuts the rifling is a big plus I think - my buddy, who owns a local gunshop and knows his stuff, is sure happy with his - as a side note, cut rifling doesn't need as much, if any, breaking in for a new barrel - after chatting with you today I have decided to have that 7mm Rem Mag rebored to a 338 Win Mag - You hadn't mentioned if yours is SS or CM but I've come to like the CM better as the steel is stronger, particularly in the cold - with the nitride salt treatment now available I've decided that CM is the way to go if given the choice

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I have looked at JES reboring and I talked to Mr Forbes the other day. It would be a little over double for him to rebarrel it with a stainless barrel. The one thing that stands out in my mind is that I know it will shoot if Melvin does the work. I have not heard any bad things about JES, but i'm just not sure if I want to take the chance.
    Iíll tell ya I have talked with about 50 guys that have had Jes cut a barrel (some many barrels) for them and not a single one had anything but glowing things to say his work. You risk a bad barrel no matter what work is done or who does it but anyone reputable will stand behind their work and make it good.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona