Thread: What to buy a new granddaughter ???

Default What to buy a new granddaughter ???

Granddaughter will be here shortly and need to find a gun for a newborn
    . Was thinking a pink 10/22 any better ideas?

The 10/22's are really hard to beat for young kids. It just stinks right now with the availability of ammo for them. If your stocked up on that it shouldn't be a problem though!

I bought mine a Savage Rascal bolt action for Christmas. She was born in August. It has pink stock, peep sights, and single shot bolt action. A perfect gun to teach shooting safety and getting a child used to sighting a gun.

When she was young, a 22 was the THIRD gun I got for her. Second was an air rifle so we could shoot lots right in the back yard. First was a cheap air soft so we could get the basics of shooting out of the way while teaching her safety. Probably wouldn't have bought that, but her mom insisted. Turned out to be a great way to teach safety, teach marksmanship, and teach momma it was okay for her little girl to be shooting.

Yeah, I'm with Brownbear on this one. An air rifle should be a kid's first gun. Cheaper, easier to shoot, safer, and no problems (as of yet, fingers crossed) with ammo supply. You can shoot in the back yard (until I met my girlfriend, I shot mine indoors all the time) which means the child doesn't have to go to the big range and hear all the big, scary 300 win mags. Air rifle is definitely the better way to go.

Although for my money, for a newborn, I wouldn't even buy a gun yet. Go buy her a roll of silver dollars, shares in a company like Microsoft or Apple, or some other investment. (My mom bought my son a whole life life insurance policy. What a great idea. The younger the child is the cheaper it is to buy and the more cash value it builds. My son will be borrow against his life insurance policy as soon as he reaches adulthood. Additionally, the older the policy is, the more of pay out at the end.)

Don't get me wrong, guns are a great gift for a child, at the appropriate time. Buy the gun when she is old enough to realize the value in it.

Well I get to see a lot of guns and right now if buying a kids starter rifle it would be this.
    http://ruger.com/products/americanRimfire/index.html

Naturally start on the air guns but just because they own a 22 first doesn’t mean they shoot that first, in my family we say “I’ve had guns all my life” and we are not kidding because a 22 is often a baby shower gift.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

By the time she is old enough to appreciate and use real firearms, you will be old enough to want to give her one or more of yours... which will mean far more to her than a cheap pink kiddie gun. Ask me how I know.

Made up my mind thanks for the help.
    Red rider
    10/22 With enough ammo to last a couple years or months if she shoots like her Dad

How about giving her a NRA life membership to go with those great choice? That's what I've done with our grands. I figure starting young, it's one heck of a cheap investment. A good one, too.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    How about giving her a NRA life membership to go with those great choice? That's what I've done with our grands. I figure starting young, it's one heck of a cheap investment. A good one, too.
    +! Great advice. I gave my grandson a life membership.

Good gun picks . . . and the NRA membership is a great idea.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Red rider is a great start. That's what my dad bought for my son and he loves it. He's learning iron sights, gun safety and just plain having fun and all inside the garage without having to track down ammo and he's only 4. Bows not a bad idea either. Never too young to learn!!

Love the pint size shooting bench, its better than half the stuff I shoot off.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona