Thread: Spot n Stalk bear off denali highway???

Default Spot n Stalk bear off denali highway???

Anyone ever spot and stalk bears off the denali highway between Paxson and Cantwell??? Curious about this...

Default Wishful thinking

Go right ahead. Several hundred road hunters can't be wrong.

Mkay, you're giving the masses of road hunters way too much credit. I've stalked a brown bear that I spotted from the Denali Highway only 2 miles in, and there must have been 50 other vehicles that passed it right by during the day. I didn't get him (I swear that bear's name must have been Houdini), but they're there for those who are patient in their spotting.

we were not road hunting but did see one within a couple of miles of the road from a ridgetop while glassing for moose. We just went a couple of miles back and glassed from a ridgetop that we spotted from the road. The bear wasn't trophy class but he still made my 7mm seem small! He went on up the valley and we left figure all the moose were long gone anyway.

Default Sorry, not specific enough

Sorry I guess I should have been more specific. We are driving the Denali til we see a good spot to hike in and camp overnight. We will be patient and glass basically the whole time. Just wanted some insight into THAT idea. If we do see one on the road though, we’ll take him. Thanks, schmidty

If you are willing to walk in alittle you can get away from the crowd.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Cool, we are, and hopefully we will get a little lucky. I heard it is really pretty down there too, so I am taking my camera!!!

When are you heading that way?

Tomorrow morning...

Sweet. Let us know how you do! I might be heading out across the Denali Highway next Tuesday or Wednesday, though I haven't decided yet.

Will do. I hope I at least see one, even if I can't get it all to come together. Knowing that they're out there keeps your blood pumping.

Well no luck. Didn't even see a bear. Had a blast though, saw lots of animals though. Moose, Caribou, Dall Sheep, porcupines (hate those), Bald Eagles.

I even got to see a cow moose right after she gave birth, she was actually birthing and we couldn't tell because she was a little hidden behind a hill but we saw her rear had some afterbirth looking stuff. So we got over the little bluff and watched her lick her two calves clean from about 80 yards. We made sure she felt okay and we stayed as far as we could while still snapping a few photos and just being in awe of the little moose trying to walk.

One of the little guys was really a go getter, and he fell right over a handful of times, it was really neat to see that! I feel really honored and lucky to be able to take advantage of this great place.

schmidty

Default Moose Calf Pics

I almost forgot, once my buddy downloads and emails me those pics I WILL post them for you all to see.

schmidty

I did that drive 3 weeks ago, from Paxson to cantwell, and camped at the bridge, mile marker 81 was washed out but they repaired it, however the road is pretty nice, it will take lots and lots of glassing, look towards the mountains, I only saw one griz...with 3 new cubs, and that was it, there was still quite a bit of snow. I only saw one other hunter, there and that was it, I had the whole place to myself...I saw alot of wolf tracks but no wolves...would've liked to have gotten some pictures of them...lots of porcupines...take your ATV if you got one, there's bears there, just gotta be patient...good luck