Thread: baiting with meat

Default baiting with meat

SO i know that you can't use a game meat i.e. salmon, moose, or any parts of the animals. but is is cool if you use store bought meat i.e. chicken, beef burger, cow tongue I'm looking for a brown bear. Or is it worth it???????? thanks is advance

Yes, I've heard of guides using old horses and carcasses from the butcher, just not wild game.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Yes you can use…but the "is it worth it" might be a whole different story. A 55 gallon drum of popcorn is going to weigh a LOT less than even 1/2 that volume in meat. Just something to consider.

Id be willing to bet that the most essential thing is just keeping your barrels full. I know I wouldn't like getting to the dinner table only to find crumbs..

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    Yes you can use…but the "is it worth it" might be a whole different story. A 55 gallon drum of popcorn is going to weigh a LOT less than even 1/2 that volume in meat. Just something to consider.

Id be willing to bet that the most essential thing is just keeping your barrels full. I know I wouldn't like getting to the dinner table only to find crumbs..
    I was think of the meat to bring in brownies, I am going to have a ton of popcorn, breads, sweets, you name it i plan of having it I was thinking the meat for a little more stink in the air that might reach out further for the browns i was going to fill pain cans with meat recap them and seal them with epoxy then hang them up to where hopefully the bears can't get them shoot them with a .22 four or five times and let them drip away

Save your kitchen grease, all the smell, way less weight to pack!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nat85501 View Post
    I was think of the meat to bring in brownies, I am going to have a ton of popcorn, breads, sweets, you name it i plan of having it I was thinking the meat for a little more stink in the air that might reach out further for the browns i was going to fill pain cans with meat recap them and seal them with epoxy then hang them up to where hopefully the bears can't get them shoot them with a .22 four or five times and let them drip away
    Just remember, you have to sit near that for long periods of time also. Can your nose ignore the smell? It will do a good job bringing in the Browns. Fish carcasses will too. But the smell would be very distracting. Don't eat before you head out
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Just remember, you have to sit near that for long periods of time also. Can your nose ignore the smell? It will do a good job bringing in the Browns. Fish carcasses will too. But the smell would be very distracting. Don't eat before you head out

Very true but i REALLY want a brownie lol i have a plan of putting meat in paint cans like burger meat, chicken parts, and a few cans of sardines put a BINCH of epoxy on the lip so it will stay closed till I hang it up once it is hung up back up to about 50 yards and let my son blast a few holes with a .22 and as far as stand off i am going to try and have about 75 yards of stand off

Rendered beaver castor... that'll bring them em. Pour it in an old sock and fling it into a tall tree. An old skinned out beaver carcass will do the trick too.

Not for the weak of stomach.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

bucket o' blood poured over that popcorn works very well also.

a spray bottle with liquid scent and spray high up around trees is good idea

so is a small battery powered airfreshner with fruit scented oil-

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post

If this helps determine if it is worth it, I bait black bears in Canada with meat from the grocery store and I put out 425lb pounds in 55 gal drums with a 5x7 access hole and in a lean berry year it is gone in 6 days (or less). If the berries are good, I have had them eat 30 lb total (like last year) and when the wind brings that smell from 370 lb of rotting meat after 6 days in the sun, it will bring tears to your eyes. If you are wondering why I use meat, it is because if there is not a good berry crop, I have found their first choice of food up here is meat, the second choice is meat, the third choice is meat, 4 th choice is dog food, fifth choice is 30 lb block of hard candy in a bucket.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    bucket o' blood poured over that popcorn works very well also.

a spray bottle with liquid scent and spray high up around trees is good idea

so is a small battery powered airfreshner with fruit scented oil-

Chris
    Batter powered airfreshner what a greay idea, never thought of that.

Thanks

Bob

I've even set up with just acouple of the airfreshners and been successful..

I believe the D size battery lasts longest..

but, I have no problem making a battery pack with a soldier gun and some duct tape
    last one I used was still running a week later---

then it got chewed

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    I've even set up with just acouple of the airfreshners and been successful..

I believe the D size battery lasts longest..

but, I have no problem making a battery pack with a soldier gun and some duct tape
    last one I used was still running a week later---

then it got chewed

Chris

Chris

What the name of the airfreshener that you use and what scent do they offer that you find the best. I will figure out a way to bear proof it with a small electrical box that I will modify, which is what I do for my trail cams. Have not had one camera chewed yet (knock on wood) and many have tried.

Bob

While Im no expert, Ive used just about everything it seems. One thing that I found works very well for scent is powered jello. You can sprinkle it in your bait can or broad cast it around your bait site. The smell is pleasant and stays for days to my nose, probably weeks to a bears nose. If you used something like dog food or popcorn and mixed the jello powder in it, youd have an easy, cheap bait.

in units 7 and 15 you can't use any fish or fish parts; but what about some of the other gmus? my specific question is regarding pike...can you use entire pike and not just heads, bones, guts, and skin?

Quote Originally Posted by ak-fang View Post
    in units 7 and 15 you can't use any fish or fish parts; but what about some of the other gmus? my specific question is regarding pike...can you use entire pike and not just heads, bones, guts, and skin?
    It's my understanding that heads, guts, skin, and bones only may be used from game animals/fish, where allowed. Pike are a game fish if I recall. But I'd double check. Not any edible meat that ADF&G and you would consider table fare can be used... Pike are a funny rule though when comparing with other baits...