Thread: Atv riding along RR tracks?

Default Atv riding along RR tracks?

First post here, I was lucky enough to buy a place north of Talkeetna and I want to know if its acceptable to ride next to the Alaska RR tracks ? It seems logical, but I don't want to break the law or ruffle feathers in the process. I understand I can cross the RR bridge at Talkeetna if my rig is less than 48" wide. From there, I could ride along the tracks to my property, if its Ok ?

I'll be I interested to hear more about that too. I've heard that doing so is considered to be Very Bad.

And that it's a matter for Homeland Security to deal with. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by joemama View Post
    First post here, I was lucky enough to buy a place north of Talkeetna and I want to know if its acceptable to ride next to the Alaska RR tracks ? It seems logical, but I don't want to break the law or ruffle feathers in the process. I understand I can cross the RR bridge at Talkeetna if my rig is less than 48" wide. From there, I could ride along the tracks to my property, if its Ok ?
    I'm pretty sure any activity in the ARR right of way is considered trespass. Call them...
    "Your papers are not in order"

Quote Originally Posted by joemama View Post
    There is a atv trail along the side of RR track north of Talkeetna for atv's going to a subdivision. It is extremely dangerous to be on the tracks. YOU CAN NOT HEAR A TRAIN COMMING. STAY OFF THE TRACKS,

Thanks for the response, I assumed folks rode alongside, nice to know there is a trail.

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

joemama. you best skinny up that wheeler....bridge is rated at 45" but I have squeesed my 46" wide wheeler through. Best to go heavy on tire air and light on the load carried.
    there is a 'trail' (road) along the tracks heading north for five miles...to the gravel pit...where you will find a regulation crossing with stop signs. From the pit you can head east towards clear creek area or north to chase area. the trail becomes a trail with various degrees and depths of mud, water and width.
    DO NOT RIDE ON THE RAIL ROAD BED.....A SURE WAY TO COMPLICATE YOUR LIFE.
    enjoy your cabin

We are able to fit 47.5" wide rigs across the bridge, but your are correct the sign states 45". They rub in a few places especially when we are hauling lumber back to the cabin. I had to put front tires on the back of my new 6x6 to get it across! Enjoy the cabin, neighbor!
    -JR

Riding within the RR right of way is not allowed even if there is a trail.
    But people do it anyway
    Keep an eye out for the yellow RR trucks on the rails. RR cops can ticket.....
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Anyone know if the trail is either still snow packed or thin enough for ATV's?
    -JR

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Gilliland440 View Post
    Anyone know if the trail is either still snow packed or thin enough for ATV's?
    -JR
    Yesterdays info: wheeler travel up to the gravel pit...unknown beyond the that. Will know more after the weekend and a first hand report.