Thread: New Ak Fisherman

Default New Ak Fisherman

I have lived in AK for 1 1/2 years but I was in a horrible car accident last winter and was stuck in the Lazy Boy all summer. I didn't get to do any fishing.

My kids haven't caught a fish in AK yet and I figure with the nice weather it would be fun.

I am going down to Nikiski this weekend and wanted to take my kids fishing along the way on the Kenai.

Any suggestions on some shore fishing locations? Also, what species would we likely target and any tackle suggestions.

I know asking about honey holes is a big no no . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Any pull off along the way you could pull over and walk to the river. I know people fish around bridges down there. Use flesh flies/sculpin patterns.

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

This will be a pink year, bring them down in august and they can catch lots of them. Look me up around then and I can help you out. Trout fishing this time of year can be pretty tough, not ideal for kids to do much catching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips guys! It was a beautiful day out, didn't catch anything but the views were spectacular! Tried our hand at fly fishing for the first time and it was a blast!

Don't know their ages, but for any age homer spit is a lot of fun. Down by the cannery discharge, near land's end resort, there are bottomfish year round, and this time of year the Pollock start showing up, too. Cast a chunk of herring, roe, or octopus as far as you can, with an ounce or so of weight above it, and just let it sit on bottom till the rod tip starts to bounce. Young uns will have fun beach combing and chasing eagles, and a little older will enjoy the fishing. Lots of sole, irish lord, some crabs, and Pollock are available. I like octopus or squid best for bait because it stays on the hook a while!

We actually have trip planned for this summer to be down there, I will remember that when down there, Thanks!