Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: 338 federal- oh boy am I excited

  1. #1
    Member mekaniks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    206

    Default 338 federal- oh boy am I excited

    image.jpgSo almost 2 years ago I decided that it was time for reasonably light weight all-purpose kind of gun. I wanted something small enough to carry on a backpack but big enough to comfortably shoot moose or bear at 200 yards. With the idea that I could use it in a bear bait tree stand or take on a Kodiak deer hunt. Not necessarily a sheep rifle or an Africa Safari rifle but something that fit in the middle.

    I had a Win model 70 .243 push feed (1965 prod) in the safe that was in pretty tough shape, but I had gotten from a friend that needed some cash and I was never going to have a use for. After lots and lots of research, internal turmoil, and blatant confusion I decided that it was time to have that action rebarreled into 338 federal.

    Just after Xmas 2013 I took the 243 barreled action up to Steve at Alaska Custom and asked him to install a stainless 20" 338 fed barrel. After some discussion he also sold me on a green Kevlar stock.

    While they were working on the gun I used the time to find some Talley one piece scope rings, and a 3X leopold FX scope that I picked up from a forum member. A month or so ago they called a said the gun was ready. This I finnaly got around to getting the scope mounted and Bore sited. And found some factory Federal 210g Nosler Partitions (not the easiest to come by).

    Today I took it to the range. It took me 9 rounds at 50 Yards to get it on the center of the target. Then I moved the target back to 100 and fired rounds 10, 11 and 12 which is the group in the picture. Man am I excited!!!!. I was shooting off the bench with just my coat rolled up for a rest. So I am thinking that when I get some hand loads worked up, and get it on some sand bags it's going shoot sub 3/4" with no problem.

    It's just a hair over 6lbs fully loaded with 5 + 1. I am am going to take it and get it Ceracoted before I go any further, but man what a shooter!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,601

    Default

    Very nice shooting and rifle.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  3. #3
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    congrats. I really like that cartridge, and think it's one of the best cartridges made for hunting in bear country.

  4. #4
    Member Roland on the River's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mekaniks View Post
    image.jpgSo almost 2 years ago I decided that it was time for reasonably light weight all-purpose kind of gun. I wanted something small enough to carry on a backpack but big enough to comfortably shoot moose or bear at 200 yards. With the idea that I could use it in a bear bait tree stand or take on a Kodiak deer hunt. Not necessarily a sheep rifle or an Africa Safari rifle but something that fit in the middle.

    I had a Win model 70 .243 push feed (1965 prod) in the safe that was in pretty tough shape, but I had gotten from a friend that needed some cash and I was never going to have a use for. After lots and lots of research, internal turmoil, and blatant confusion I decided that it was time to have that action rebarreled into 338 federal.

    Just after Xmas 2013 I took the 243 barreled action up to Steve at Alaska Custom and asked him to install a stainless 20" 338 fed barrel. After some discussion he also sold me on a green Kevlar stock.

    While they were working on the gun I used the time to find some Talley one piece scope rings, and a 3X leopold FX scope that I picked up from a forum member. A month or so ago they called a said the gun was ready. This I finnaly got around to getting the scope mounted and Bore sited. And found some factory Federal 210g Nosler Partitions (not the easiest to come by).

    Today I took it to the range. It took me 9 rounds at 50 Yards to get it on the center of the target. Then I moved the target back to 100 and fired rounds 10, 11 and 12 which is the group in the picture. Man am I excited!!!!. I was shooting off the bench with just my coat rolled up for a rest. So I am thinking that when I get some hand loads worked up, and get it on some sand bags it's going shoot sub 3/4" with no problem.

    It's just a hair over 6lbs fully loaded with 5 + 1. I am am going to take it and get it Ceracoted before I go any further, but man what a shooter!
    If you don't mind my asking, how much for the new barrel and stock work ?

  5. #5
    Member mekaniks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    If you don't mind my asking, how much for the new barrel and stock work ?
    About $1100.00. So I am into the gun about 1500.00 total so far.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sandpoint, ID
    Posts
    1,974

    Default

    Very nice!!

    I'm glad to see you go with the .338 Fed. I'm a big fan ever since I got my Tikka in .338 Fed. Mine is a little bit heavier with a Leupold 2-7x and a sling but it shoot just like yours and it's going for Spring bear next month...if I could only have one gun...nah...couldn't happen!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

  7. #7
    Member mekaniks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Very nice!!

    I'm glad to see you go with the .338 Fed. I'm a big fan ever since I got my Tikka in .338 Fed. Mine is a little bit heavier with a Leupold 2-7x and a sling but it shoot just like yours and it's going for Spring bear next month...if I could only have one gun...nah...couldn't happen!!
    Yes that Tikka is a good gun also. I was really considering a Tikka or a Weatherby before I made the decision to just "bite the bullet" and use the action I already had even though it's going to be more expensive this way. That said I also agree with you that having only one gun is just crazy talk!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Delta Jct, Alaska
    Posts
    992

    Default

    I bought a Kimber Montana 338 Fed off this site two years ago.....It shoots very similar groups with 210 NP Federal ammo.....I've bragged up this little rifle here before but it sure is easy to fall in love with. I'm currently at 5.25 pounds with 2.5x ultralight scope.

    Mek......take the time to cycle the Federal ammo through your rifle as I had a box with two rounds that wouldn't chamber......never had that before but glad I discovered it before getting to my bear bait.

  9. #9
    Member mekaniks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    I bought a Kimber Montana 338 Fed off this site two years ago.....It shoots very similar groups with 210 NP Federal ammo.....I've bragged up this little rifle here before but it sure is easy to fall in love with. I'm currently at 5.25 pounds with 2.5x ultralight scope.

    Mek......take the time to cycle the Federal ammo through your rifle as I had a box with two rounds that wouldn't chamber......never had that before but glad I discovered it before getting to my bear bait.
    Thanks Vern, I will watch for that. I did cycle 5 rounds through it with no problem when I first got it back from the gunshop just to make sure it was feeding ok before I took it to the range. Anyway, it's off for Ceracote this weekend and then start working up some hand loads when I get it back.

  10. #10
    Member akula682's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    1,187

    Default

    I did the same thing with my Model 670 that I bought from a friend, I sent my 243 to MGM and had them put a 338 Federal barrel on it... however being stuck in Afghanistan I have yet to shoot it. I also have to fit it to my new stock, I have a thumbhole, laminated and the barrel is just a little to large at the action. I expect it will shoot really well when I get it set up.

    Im glad to see that someone else did the same, for the same reasons. Good luck in your adventures.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

  11. #11
    Member mekaniks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    I did the same thing with my Model 670 that I bought from a friend, I sent my 243 to MGM and had them put a 338 Federal barrel on it... however being stuck in Afghanistan I have yet to shoot it. I also have to fit it to my new stock, I have a thumbhole, laminated and the barrel is just a little to large at the action. I expect it will shoot really well when I get it set up.

    Im glad to see that someone else did the same, for the same reasons. Good luck in your adventures.
    akula, That sounds like it will be an awesome gun and It's fun to customize a rifle the way you want it. I doubt I will ever buy another rifle off the rack.

    Thank You for your service!!!

  12. #12
    Member mekaniks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    206

    Default

    So like I said in an earlier post I sent this rifle out for Cerecote. Well I got it back last week and finally got it to the range today. I put it on the sand bags and dialed it in at 50 yards. Then I moved back to 100yrds which is the target in the picture. The first shot was the one to the left of the bullseye. I adjusted to scope right and up (to far) and then shot the next three shot group. Man I like that gun!!! And big cudos to Steve at Alaska Custom for turning out such a great shooter!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #13
    Member bigswede358's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Maries, Idaho
    Posts
    518

    Default

    Nice little rifle there. Great caliber too.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

  14. #14

    Default

    To me you've achieved what may be the perfect All-Alaska rifle. Light and easy to carry, tough enough for any conditions, powerful enough to get you through most situations, and accuracy to spare. Your body just won't feel right in the hills without that gem hanging from your shoulder. Well done!

  15. #15

    Default

    Yup, I was thinking what BrownBear said. I might have gone 358 Win. but that's splitting hairs. 338 Federal has many as ftlbs as a 7mag in a little light weight dandy! I like your style!

  16. #16
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    i'd take that lil hog, over any WSM, nice rifle.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sandpoint, ID
    Posts
    1,974

    Default

    Mine's not custom and it's just an old Duracoat job I did myself but she shoots those SST's at about an inch at 100 yds all day long. My problem is all I can find is sows with cubs...not the gun's fault.

    Attachment 78617
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •