Thread: Trailer Tires

Default Trailer Tires

What type of trailer tires do you like to run?

My single axel currently has radials on it that need replaced because they are a bit too wide and they rub on the inner plywood.

I was considering putting some bias ply trailer tires on it, but at the USCGA training class I am taking one of the instructors advised using radials.

It tracks really good with the radials on it, but I would like a higher load rating in a bit skinnier tire - I think.

You might check with 6 Robblees. I bought a set of trailer tires pre-mounted on galvanized wheels there. They also have unmounted tires available. I quizzed the guy on radial vs bias ply. He suggested bias ply for my 20' boat with 70 hp. but said he would use radials if he lived in a warmer climate and was pulling a heavier load. I don't know how valid that info is...it's just what I was told. Lowe's also has some mounted trailer tires.

Dont bother with the 6 Robblees, I wore out a set of tires that came on galvy wheels in one season, single axel trailer.
    I bought some from TDS and so far so good, they are a 185R14 light truck tire, brand is Nankang, rated at 1764 for a dual axle trailer.
    I think they are a 6 ply, The tires that come on trailer wheels are el-cheapos.......

Maybe some helpful info here:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=#post1301829
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Don't go with el cheapo tires on the boat trailer. When a trailer tire fails when you are doing 60 mph on the Seward highway, real bad things happen!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Don't go with el cheapo tires on the boat trailer. When a trailer tire fails when you are doing 60 mph on the Seward highway, real bad things happen!!!!
    ++ what he said...!

Have made the trip from Kasilof to the Yukon Bridge and back a dozen times now and used to get one or two flats per year on the boat trailer. Finally broke down and bought some 10 ply load range "E" trailer tires (not truck tires) ..... problem solved, should have done it long ago. Changing a flat tire on the boat trailer on the haul road is a giant PITA.

I'm not looking for cheap. I want as good as I can get - I try not skimp on the things that I consider life-safety items.

What do you guys consider cheap? The set I had of cheap ones lasted probably 20000 miles on an overloaded trailer. Most premature failures or tread wear issues are due to underinflation or overloading.

When I looked into it on my 3400# single axle boat trailer I went with radial trailer tires and plan on replacing them every 2 years. Thinking about boing to
    a torsion bar axle also over a spring axle. Doubt tires will have more than 3K miles on them in 2 years but like knowing I have good tires and good bearings. I was surprised most manufactures recommend about 2 years on trailer tire life.

Quote Originally Posted by cormit View Post
    10 ply load range "E" trailer tires (not truck tires).
    Depends on the size, my trailer came with 13's now 14's, I bought a set of wheels & tires at 6R because I wanted galvanized wheels, the next spring they were replaced......I had maybe 3500 miles on them, they wouldnt have made another trip to Homer...

I dont know if 10 ply is available in a 14" tire...maybe 15 and for sure 16's.......and they would help a bunch.

The "truck" tires on my EZ loader now are holding up well. I think a lot of boats come with undersized trailers, and axles, tires...... I wish mine was a dual axel.... If you think the haul road is bad try the Elliott to Minto sometime...
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I dont know if 10 ply is available in a 14" tire...maybe 15 and for sure 16's.......and they would help a bunch.

If you think the haul road is bad try the Elliott to Minto sometime...
    Ate up lots of those 6R 14"ers. Had to go up to a 15" wheel to get a 10 ply tire.

I wasn't really planning on buying new rims for it. I don't tow it very far. Homer 1 time a year, whittier 6-8 times a year, and seward 1 or 2 times a year. I mean really only talking under 2000 miles a year. Not much for mileage.

I think that the ones on it have been on it since it was new (2006).........

I don't want a lame tire to fubar a precious fishing trip or way worse - hurt someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I wasn't really planning on buying new rims for it. I don't tow it very far. Homer 1 time a year, whittier 6-8 times a year, and seward 1 or 2 times a year. I mean really only talking under 2000 miles a year. Not much for mileage.

I think that the ones on it have been on it since it was new (2006).........

I don't want a lame tire to fubar a precious fishing trip or way worse - hurt someone.
    Trailer flats are a PITA, are they 14's? Duals?
    TR

It is a single axel trailer. Right now it has 215/75 r14's on it, but I am going to go with a 205 to stop the insides from rubbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Dont bother with the 6 Robblees, I wore out a set of tires that came on galvy wheels in one season, single axel trailer.
    I bought some from TDS and so far so good, they are a 185R14 light truck tire, brand is Nankang, rated at 1764 for a dual axle trailer.
    I think they are a 6 ply, The tires that come on trailer wheels are el-cheapos.......

Maybe some helpful info here:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=#post1301829
    What he said about the Robblees tires, they didn't last for me either.

I use to run bias plys down in the states on a single axle boat trailer and they didn't last long at all. I've had nothing but radials up here on three different dual axle trailers and all have held up extremely well. If I had to buy new tires for a single I'd buy radials unless someone could give me a good reason why not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I'm not looking for cheap. I want as good as I can get - I try not skimp on the things that I consider life-safety items.
    Check with Trailer Craft. Tell them what you're looking for (radials IMO) and they will hook you up.