Thread: Free Moose on Craigslist

Default Free Moose on Craigslist

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/zip/4392552997.html

I see someone posted this is the bear baiting section but I am posting it here to try and get more views. I know this family and they really hope someone needs this moose or I will be helping them take it to the dump.

Good idea...should have thought of that myself, as it seems more people are on the Alaska Hunting forum than the Bear Stands & Baiting forum. Hope you find someone who's interested.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Had something like this happen a few years back. A buddy and I watched a moose take its last few breaths the during a tough winter and after it had died in his yard we devised a plan that would get us a few wolves and coyotes for sure. We'd take it out drag it up a river a few miles leave it in an area we could sneak into and give it a while so we could hunt over it... Well we drug the **** thing onto a trailer and drove it about 20 miles to a small river then drug it behind the snomachine about another 10 miles up river. We found the perfect spot to leave it where we could sneak in and watch it from about 150yds....the only problem was we didn't think ahead and this was the first part of March.. Yep went back to check on it a week later and the river had opened up. We did make some happy critters that spring I'm betting.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AKHUNTINFOOL View Post
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/zip/4392552997.html

I see someone posted this is the bear baiting section but I am posting it here to try and get more views. I know this family and they really hope someone needs this moose or I will be helping them take it to the dump.
    Using this animal as bait is illegal unless a permit is provided by ADF&G.

5 AAC 92.210. Game as animal food or bait

A person may not use game as food for a dog or furbearer, or as bait, except for the following:
    (1) the hide, skin, viscera, head, or bones of game legally taken or killed by a motorized vehicle, after salvage as required under 5 AAC 92.220;
    (2) parts of legally taken animals that are not required to be salvaged as edible meat, if the parts are moved from the kill site;
    (3) the skinned carcass of a bear, furbearer, or fur animal, after salvage as required under 5 AAC 92.220;
    (4) small game; however, the breast meat of small game birds may not be used as animal food or bait;
    (5) unclassified game;
    (6) deleterious exotic wildlife;
    (7) game that died of natural causes, if the game is not moved from the location where it was found; for purposes of this paragraph, "natural causes" does not include death caused by a human;
    (8) game furnished by the state, as authorized by a permit under 5 AAC 92.040.

So Tony...........now that you told everyone about your moose...........you had the permit mentioned above, right?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Here is the statement from the ad:
    Moose died in my yard and Fish and Game says I now own it, and it is up to me to dispose of.

Does the fact the moose is there problem negate the use of the moose and meat once someone else takes it? Kind of a sorry state if you are required to dispose of dead game on your property but you and whoever uses it is still restricted on what can be done with it!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

From my bear baiting class we went over this with lots of questions. Basically you can not move the moose and then hunt. You are 100% legal to place a stand over a dead moose thought.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    So Tony...........now that you told everyone about your moose...........you had the permit mentioned above, right?
    Nope... I had plans to hunt over it strictly for photography purposes. however never got the chance. So it was simply relocated

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk