Thread: Best hunt ever.

Default Best hunt ever.

It started last Friday in the am with a simple phone call from from fish and game. I had forgotten about the draw and pleasantly surprised to be selected. A quick drive to Palmer and a stop at DNR started a hunt plan lasting only the weekend.

Monday morning I surprised my son by waking him early and telling him he was going to skip school to go (hunting) with his dad. He was perplexed but got dressed with amazing quickness and we where out the door.

We hiked around 8 miles going down two different power lines trails and to a mine and back(the one behind 17mile lake) drove countless rd looking for a cow. We found one right out the gait but she was on private property and the sign that stated we would be shot dead made her off limits. Lol.

We came out of chickaloon honestly happy to have spent the day with my son but disappointed he would not be apart of the harvest. We had a laughing conversation on the way home when I spotted her.

She was alone and on the side of a hill the no one posted stay off or private property. She was up a hill with about a 60%grade rest by a tree.
    We stopped watched made certain it was a she and the stalk was on.

I realized something about my son as we headed up the hill. He can't be quiet. EVER! He walked like an old man with a walker and a pegged leg on tile floor. We got about 50yards away and I told him to cover his ears.

The shoot was clean she made a circle and laid down against the same tree. My son yelled we high fived and the rest is in my freezer.

This was by far the easiest hunt I have ever done with probably the best table fair yet. 6y/o cow that cooled off almost instantly and we had NO BUGS.

I learned that as I get older and my kids become more apart of my hobbies the hobbies become more important to me. It was walking with my son into a 30mph headwind for 2 miles without a complaint. It was the elated smile he gave me when I tucked him in and the prayer he said thanking God for the moose.

He and I shared a grilled stake after a butchering marathon. He even samples my brown ale. Didn't like it lol. I'm a blest man in life have more then I ever deserved a son that is in a deep sleep and a freezer full of amazingniss.

Yeah, very very cool.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

That's awesome! Great dad. You're lucky to have each other. Congrats.

The only thing better will be your son pulling the trigger.What you did and will do leads to that trigger pulling day.Congrats
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Great job! Gonna be some good eating for sure.
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." T. R.

Really a great read, thanks.

Thanks for sharing your father & son hunt...the no bugs & cool weather sounded like a real winner too!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Nice job, looks like time well spent with your son. Congrats on the moose too!
    BK

Very nicely done and shared. As Amigo said- the day your son fires the round will be a proud day indeed and one that was fostered properly.

Just the beginning of a lifelong bond out in the field with your son, thanks for sharing with us and congrats on the meat.

Way cool way to spend the day!!! My boy is like having a radio on when he goes with me, never shuts up!! Lol he had a caribou tag this year and my other boy had a cow moose tag. Stories like yours get me pumped! Nice work!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

AWESOME!! I can't wait until my little ones are old enough to go out with Daddy. I did go out with an elder to hunt (I was going to help with the loading and cutting) and we did see one, but weren't able to get a shot. When I came home my 3 year old asked me: "Daddy, where the moose?" I think she was disappointed.

Coooooool! This day and age needs more parents like you. Good job dad!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Also, I like the boy's dino-camo parka!

Marine he asked me why I had on camo then an orange vest. My simple response was because I can.

Great story.

Rest assured that (assuming he turns into a hunter which i expect) he will have similar thoughts about taking you hunting later in life.

My father always took me hunting, and this year i'm bringing him hunting, i have never felt this excited!

congrats on the many many dinners ahead

That's a great post! Congratulations on being a great dad to your son!

-mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Great story. Congratulations.

Great story, thanks for sharing!

Jake