Thread: Hang whole beaver or just castors?

Default Hang whole beaver or just castors?

Trying to cut weight and Ovcourse not use rotting meat to attract grizz. What are your guys thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry about attracting grizz to rotting meat because the blackies will eat it up as soon as you get it hung. I take the castors out beforehand and use separately. To ensure you get the meat as stinky as possible, get a couple of 5 gallon buckets with good lids and partially fill with water. Once you've filled them with a little water, chop the carcass into 2-3 separate chunks and place in the water in separate buckets and seal tight. Let it sit outside and rot prior to season. The stinkier the better. I've used the same method and worked like a charm, the blackies wouldn't bother hitting the barrel of goodness until every last chunk of beaver carcass was eaten. I took a single bucket out at a time and ran it over a very high and sturdy branch/tree. The bears would climb 12-15 feet and had to reach out to barely slap a little out of the bucket at a time so they had to keep returning to get a full meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bgarcher44 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about attracting grizz to rotting meat because the blackies will eat it up as soon as you get it hung. I take the castors out beforehand and use separately. To ensure you get the meat as stinky as possible, get a couple of 5 gallon buckets with good lids and partially fill with water. Once you've filled them with a little water, chop the carcass into 2-3 separate chunks and place in the water in separate buckets and seal tight. Let it sit outside and rot prior to season. The stinkier the better. I've used the same method and worked like a charm, the blackies wouldn't bother hitting the barrel of goodness until every last chunk of beaver carcass was eaten. I took a single bucket out at a time and ran it over a very high and sturdy branch/tree. The bears would climb 12-15 feet and had to reach out to barely slap a little out of the bucket at a time so they had to keep returning to get a full meal.
    also wanted to mention, to save on weight just add a little bit of water and use a bucket with a good handle for ease of transport.

Great idea!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ringo,

We hang the whole beaver and it works great as well. Our trail camera has gotten many pictures with bears laying under the beaver as well as staring up at it. The method we used was to run a rope from one tree to another and to put a pulley on that rope with the beaver attached. Put it just high enough to the point where a black bear couldn't reach it. We would typically let it bake in the sun for a roughly a week. Kept the bears coming back day in and day out! Good luck!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

If you use a whole/intact carcass, make sure the bears can't actually reach it. We used a whole beaver once, and the first bear to come in (young sow)took the carcass and ran off with it. Bait works best when the bears eat it at the bait site, not 100 yards away through thick forest.

HANG THAT WHOLE THING! In fact, take a rail road spike and hammer that SOB to the tree about 8 ft high through the middle of the tail and watch the bears try to rip it away and take off with it, it can get quite amusing. The tail of the beaver is so strong that most bears cant even begin to rip it off, it's very very entertaining and it gets their attention away from you so you can slam an arrow into them.