Thread: Nelson Island Musk Ox

Default Nelson Island Musk Ox

I was told this weekend that F&G is going to expand the MO permits on the island to include online registration for residents as well as a portion for non-residents. There was a meeting in Anchorage last week regarding the number of tags, access etc. It will be a trophy hunt as I am told so you can bring home the horns intact. Most likely create some issues like tresspass fees/tranporter requirements, but Im guessing. Anyone have any other information?

Quote Originally Posted by Hughiam View Post
    I was told this weekend that F&G is going to expand the MO permits on the island to include online registration for residents as well as a portion for non-residents. There was a meeting in Anchorage last week regarding the number of tags, access etc. It will be a trophy hunt as I am told so you can bring home the horns intact. Most likely create some issues like tresspass fees/tranporter requirements, but Im guessing. Anyone have any other information?
    I've done this hunt before just a couple seasons ago. I don't know that on-line registration is a good idea as in I think if you want this hunt bad enough you should make the effort to show up in person and go through the waiting in line process to get the tag. I also don't believe it should be open to non-residents period. This is a limited hunt as it is with many villagers hoping to get a tag for winter meat.

If you don't have the cooperation of the locals including land permission you'll never make this hunt happen. Unless one plans on riding their magic carpet out to the hunting grounds good luck! It can be brutal out there.

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    I've done this hunt before just a couple seasons ago. I don't know that on-line registration is a good idea as in I think if you want this hunt bad enough you should make the effort to show up in person and go through the waiting in line process to get the tag.
    Maybe all hunts should only be open to those who "want it bad enough" Tim? While the land may be private, the animals are owned collectively and equally by all residents. If the population of Ox on Nelson Is., which is only an island because of a slough that runs between it and the mainland, is high enough to allow on line reg. permits, then that is the way it should be.
    I have no idea if this is true, but if the animal numbers are increasing then I applaud the Dept. for opening opportunity to more hunters!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Here's the bottom line. I don't know how Tim got to hunt the land, but I do know this. I'm on the local AC and the Nelson Islanders are NOT going to allow anyone outside of Unit 18 to hunt their land. They said it and did not mince words. The animals belong to everyone, but if you can't get access to the land, then the point is mute.

Kusko,

Do you think that if they can make a profitable business out of transporting some of the residents will be more accepting? I heard the reports that said the islanders did protest the new hunting regs, but if there is money to be made, do you think that will be a motivator?

As of right now, the answer is no. I don't think they are in a position to pay the transporters fee and get the insurance. It could also form jealousy amongst those that cannot afford to do the same thing. We thought of this before we amended the Big Board's original proposal.

Personally, I think the could make a pile of money out there. Especially considering the tags are only $25.

Is the whole island Corp. land, Kusko? Is the permit only good on the island? Must be some animals that have moved easr of the island.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

There is a little tiny chunk of land that is refuge. There has been 5 muskox spotted there in the 6 years. Even if they've moved, the hunt is for the island.

So far, no one has expressed interest in transporting.