Thread: 45-70 Bullets

Default 45-70 Bullets

Who up here sells good bullets for the 45-70 for handloading.Im looking for high quality bullets for bear loads.I normally handload Barnes 400 grain flat points,but havent been able to find any yet.If they were available up here i wouldnt mind purchasing some Garrett hammerhead loaded cartridges.Ive shot three black bears with my 400 grainers@ about 1850fps ,worked awesome.Very impressed...Someday ,I might even try a Grizzly with this load,,,but Id better save up for the rug first.
    I thought Sportsman Warehouse would have a good selection,,,but there selection of .45 cal. was pretty non existent.

Default 45/70 bullets

There are a number of bullets available, however one of the best will probably be the KODIAK. Oregon Trails also makes some very nice hard cast bullets.
    Good luck.
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Are they available up here?

Default good 45-70 bullets

Get ahold of Dan "Bullet Man" Congliosi up in Delta Junction at www.bullshop.gunloads.com for the website. He casts beautiful hardcast gascheck bullets and plain base at good prices and flat rate shipping. I am not affiliated with Dan's business, The bullshop. He's just a good Alaskan guy who provides a great product. He does custom bullets, too.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Get ahold of Dan "Bullet Man" Congliosi up in Delta Junction at www.bullshop.gunloads.com for the website. He casts beautiful hardcast gascheck bullets and plain base at good prices and flat rate shipping. I am not affiliated with Dan's business, The bullshop. He's just a good Alaskan guy who provides a great product. He does custom bullets, too.
    Warren,

Congiolosi. It ain't easy is it? :-)
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thumbs up second for Dan

"Bullet Man Dan" gets my vote also. Good bullets. Give him a try.

Talking what rifle?

Hi Dan: First, one has to know what rifle you will be loading for, because that will dictate what velocities you can load to and that will be the criteria for selecting the right bullet. This is (45-70) a case (situation) that one size doesn't fit all. There are a lot of great bullets as mentioned by others, and I would add the 350 Speer Hot cor if one can obtain higher velocities for it to mushroom properly (I think it's one of the toughest lead core bullets on the market). Ciao.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

I shoot a Marlin 1895 model. Picked it up at a garage sale about 20 years ago, for $175.00.Nothing pretty ,,its been in the woods so much ,its scratched,and battered. I carry it mainly when im bush whacking in to some creek.

Talking Marlin choice

Quote Originally Posted by sarge View Post
    There are a number of bullets available, however one of the best will probably be the KODIAK. Oregon Trails also makes some very nice hard cast bullets.
    Good luck.
    For your Marlin, I seriously take Sarge's advice on these two, which should be available there (I know Sportsman's whse carried Oregon Trail). I'd go with what shoots best in your beast, and not look back. Take care, ciao.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

I haven't stuck a brown bear with a 45-70, so I can't do more than speculate even though I load mine with hard cast for protection.

Hunting is another matter, and I've holed lots of hides with 45-70's. I agree with Dan and Maydog about the Kodiak as a quality hunting bullet. In .458 and several other calibers they have proven to be worth every cent you pay for them.

I'll also point out that we don't need rip snorting velocities and sore shoulders to turn the 45-70 into a great hunting round. It proved itself over a century ago at very modest velocities.

With that in mind, I'll say that the jacketed bullet I shoot most is the standard Remington 405-grain, which I last bought in bulk (4,000) from Midway. At least up to 1500 fps it holds together and performs very well on deer, elk and moose while not costing an arm and a leg to shoot. Because it's cheap, I shoot a whole bunch of them.

Add in all the homecast bullets I shoot at around 1200 fps for plinking and small game, and the 45-70 stacks up as one of my favorite rounds. I probably don't put ten rounds a year of high vel hard cast through my two guns combined, and I guess that's my point for this ramble.

Go ahead and make your best guess about protection bullets and loads. But you're going to miss out on way too much fun if you stop there. Lots of other velocities and bullet types are useful and highly effective in Alaska, and you're missing out if you simply stop once you have decided on a protection load.

Default .45-70

500gn Hornadys shoot well!