Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Court ruling gives NM resident better odds at drawing. (I like it).

Default Court ruling gives NM resident better odds at drawing. (I like it).

New Mexico Department of Game and Fish
    Media contact: Rachel Shockley, (505) 476-8071
    Public contact: (888) 248-6866
    Rachel.shockley@state.nm.us

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, MARCH 24, 2014:

Court ruling gives New Mexico resident hunters better odds in drawings for bighorn sheep, oryx and ibex
    ALBUQUERQUE – New Mexico resident hunters scored a big victory Monday with a U.S. District Court ruling that allows the Department of Game and Fish to reinstate quotas that give state residents a big advantage over nonresidents when applying for bighorn sheep, oryx and ibex hunting licenses.
    “This is an important decision and a huge win for New Mexico hunters,” said Paul Kienzle, newly elected chairman of the State Game Commission. “It’s been a long fight, but New Mexicans now have a good shot at those quality hunts, as intended by the governor and the state legislature.”
    Monday’s ruling by Chief U.S. District Judge Christina Armijo vacated a 1977 injunction that prohibited the Department from applying preferential quotas that benefited state residents in the drawings for bighorn sheep, oryx and ibex licenses. Because of that injunction, nonresident hunters enjoyed equal odds with residents in the annual drawings.
    Beginning with this year’s draw, resident hunters who apply for bighorn sheep, oryx and ibex licenses will enjoy the same odds as those who applied for any other big-game species. Currently, state residents receive 84 percent of all public licenses issued through drawings. Nonresidents receive 6 percent and hunters using outfitters – residents and nonresidents – qualify for 10 percent of public licenses. The application deadline for 2014-15 big-game licenses was March 19.
    “The injunction has prevented the Department from complying with state law to the detriment of New Mexico residents and in opposition to the will of the governor and the legislature,” Department Legal Counsel Allison Marks said. “Judge Armijo unequivocally found New Mexico’s statutory quota does not violate federal law. The judge’s quick decision affords the Department the opportunity to make immediate changes to the draw system in order to comply with state law.”
    Several conservation organizations supported the Department’s motion to vacate the injunction. They included United Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, the New Mexico Chapter of the Wild Sheep Foundation, the New Mexico Wildlife Federation and the Southern New Mexico Chapter of Safari Club International.
    The injunction applied only to bighorn sheep, oryx and ibex because at the time of the legal challenge, they were the only species of big game in New Mexico for which the State Game Commission provided an in-state preference for license allocation. The injunction was issued in connection with a 1974 lawsuit by David B. Terk, a Texas resident and hunter. Terk challenged New Mexico’s license allocation system that gave him a lower chance of drawing a license than state residents would enjoy.
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Very cool to see NM take a stand!!!

Am I the only person wondering why they have a drawing for feral game....?

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I like it to.

I'd like to see Alaska go the same route and I'd take it another step ~ I would like to see a tier structure that rewards those for length of Alaska residency. After 5 years you can put in for brown bear, after 10, you can put in for sheep. After 20, you get a shot at Bison.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    I like it to.

I'd like to see Alaska go the same route and I'd take it another step ~ I would like to see a tier structure that rewards those for length of Alaska residency. After 5 years you can put in for brown bear, after 10, you can put in for sheep. After 20, you get a shot at Bison.

So a resident would have to have 20 years of residency to apply for a bison tag, but a 16 year old nonresident could apply for the same tag?

Guess it depends on your definition of "feral". The 2 non-native species mentioned are hardly in the same class as starlings, pigeons of hogs.
    They were introduced and are non-native, no arguement, but I don't think anyone is looking to exterminate them.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

and funny part is... when AK limits non res tags to a 10% or less, resident hunters get all pissy about it, because thats 10% they dont have access too... not withstanding the Non res.. used to have access to 100% of that draw and no longer do...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yes a very good day for NM, it's been long overdue! I have my fingers crossed for a BHS tag, it looks like my odds just doubled for this year

Oryx absolutely love living in NM and we love having them here, Oryx is some awesome meat and right up there with the best I have ever had!

Delta bison, Nunivak muskox, Afognak/southeast Roosevelt elk & Kodiak goats are all non-native or introduced to non traditional area draw species in Alaska, similiar as NM Oryx & ibex. Not to mention non draw/ registration elk, Sitka Blacktail deer, Kodiak reindeer/caribou, St. Paul & Adak caribou, ect.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    I like it to.

Hahahahaha good luck with that! Way to much $$$ involved for that to happen. Nice try though
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    Delta bison, Nunivak muskox, Afognak/southeast Roosevelt elk & Kodiak goats are all non-native or introduced to non traditional area draw species in Alaska, similiar as NM Oryx & ibex. Not to mention non draw/ registration elk, Sitka Blacktail deer, Kodiak reindeer/caribou, St. Paul & Adak caribou, ect.
    Solid point!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Guess it depends on your definition of "feral". The 2 non-native species mentioned are hardly in the same class as starlings, pigeons of hogs.
    They were introduced and are non-native, no arguement, but I don't think anyone is looking to exterminate them.
    I sure would like a chance at exterminating one of those feral wood bison.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Kalifornia considers feral hogs as a deleterious invasive species, but still charges $25 for a tag. It all about the money.

Really, Oryx and Ibex are exotics. I can't believe there are free ranging populations to hunt.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Straight from the Park Service website.

http://www.nps.gov/whsa/naturescience/oryxwhsa.htm
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    So a resident would have to have 20 years of residency to apply for a bison tag, but a 16 year old nonresident could apply for the same tag?
    Not sure which math you use Gary, but in my math 16 < 20. In my dream scenario you gotta be an AK resident to hunt any of these.

It may sound far fetched, but it is my dream.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    Really, Oryx and Ibex are exotics. I can't believe there are free ranging populations to hunt.

New Mexico's habitat is perfect for these animals, some guy brought them to the missile range in the 60's and the Oryx proliferated out of the missile range and is constantly trying to expand, if I understand it correctly they don't necessarily have a breeding season here, in Namibia they breed according to the extreme drought seasons and in NM it is a free for all. NM has off range hunts for every month of the year with up to 100 tags per month to try and curb the expansion. They also have OIL and broken horn hunts on the missile range to help keep that population in check. I believe the G&F reduced some of the off range hunts this year so I think we have a check on the over population of them. Like I said before the meat is fantastic!

The Ibex do really well in the rocky godforsaken mountains they live in, recently the G&F had a slaughter hunt to cut back on their population but I don't think they are expanding out of that mountain area just over populating it. I am not sure how they got to NM.

Here is an Oryx I got a couple years ago, 36" horns

Attachment 77551

I guess I don't know how to post a pic I will try again later

[QUOTE=JPD350;1380657]Here is an Oryx I got a couple years ago, 36" horns

oryxfix_edited-1_zps78ec7053.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast