Thread: Good ATV trail to take family on?

Default Good ATV trail to take family on?

Any good trails not too far from Eagle River to take the family ATV'ing? The wife doesn't like real tough terrain or crossing deep water. We rode Eklutna last weekend and it was nice and scenic, but might be nice to find something a little more off the path (lots of hikers and bikers).

If there are some trails in the area I would appreciate some info.
    Thanks

Eklutna Lakeside trail would probably be good for you. You can atv on sun, mon, tues, wed only. Just basically a dirt road that goes about 12 miles back. Great scenery. Guessing the snow is gone by now. EricL

Default Yeah, Sutton!

Western,

There is the Jonesville area up in Sutton. Wondeful place for the entire family. Simply drive out the Glenn pass Palmer into Sutton. Make a left onto Jonesville Road. Go up till the pavement ends and make your first left. Go all the way down and simply find a spot to park. (you'll be on the backside of the lake)

The wife and the kids would have a easy time going up the mountain on the main road (road up thru the trees north of Slipper lake) You'll see it. Many other side trails to play on also.

Enjoy!

Dave
    Live life now, or forever wish you did!

AkLoser, is the mine side of Eska open? They closed it last year or the year before due to those underground mine fires. Haven't been up there this year. Great ride though..EricL

Default Yeppers!

Yep! the mine side is open. We camped out there 3 weekends ago and there were about 25 rigs camping in there with us.

ALL TRAILS ARE OPEN up there! The second gate has been removed completly and the first gate stays open. They re-did the road up the mountian. They smoothed out the runway. The big slag hill that was on the lower left is now a huge flat open space to camp in.

Loser Dave
    Live life now, or forever wish you did!

Default Eska mine trail?

Where is the Eska mine trail? Have heard that its a great place but never had directions

RC

Go to Sutton. Turn left on Jonesville road. It is between Eska Creek bridge and the first c-store. Couple different riding areas up there. Follow the road to the end to the old Coyote Lake Rec area and head up the mountain to the falls or turn left off the main road and head up the mine road. Finding the falls the first time is a little tricky but the term "keep left" comes to mind as you are heading up...EricL