Thread: Installing a Williams sight on Winchester 94

Default Installing a Williams sight on Winchester 94

What is involved in installing a Williams peep (or aperture) rear sight on both a pre64 and post64 Winchester 94, and which is the better sight (FP vs 5D)?

I recently acquired a pre 64 Model 94 (mfg between 1943-48) 30-30, as well as a post 64 Model 94 (mfg 1970) 44 mag and I want to put rear sights on them. The pre 64 gun has no screws or anything on the left side of the receiver, so I know it will need some drilling. However, I noticed the post 64 gun has 3 screws on the receiver near the rear in a triangle pattern. I sq that specifically for a sight install, or is it something else? Also, the post 64 gun has a saddle ring on it. Will an aperture sight even fit on that gun without removing the saddle ring?

Lastly, for those of y who have owned these sights or have experience with them, which of the two (FP or 5D) is the better sight for float hunting out of a canoe? (i.e most rugged, durable, holds it's zero under abuse, etc.) Does anyone even know what the difference in those two sights are, other than one is twice the price of the other?

FP is what you want, the 5D is the same except it doesn’t have the micro adjustments screws that you can count clicks like on a scope. To install any of these takes drill/tap on left side of the receiver or the top behind the ejection window . . . or on the tang for rhe fold down tang mounted ones.

If buying new these are a lot less bulky but lack the micro adjustment. This is what I’d go with on a bang around defensive gun, use as a goast ring with apature out. http://www.skinnersights.com/winchester_26.html Or better yet a Lyman, I think it would be a model 66A in Lyman.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks Andy, I knew you'd have an answer. Looks like I might go for the Lyman instead.