Thread: Trolling for Halibut

Default Trolling for Halibut

I hear people pick up Halibut while trolling for salmon. Has anyone actually targeted halibut with a plug or anything other then bait or jigs?

Oh yeah.

When they're scattered on the shallow flats in late July and August (coming up into the area of river mouths to feed on humpies), you'll sit a long time waiting for them to come to you. But you can wander all over tarnation and sift them out pretty nicely while trolling. We always seem to have the best luck doing so with herring behind large flashers at around 2mph.

I get them on a regular basis, as well as some nice ling. I like to troll 4-8ft off the bottom, in 30-80ft of water. I usually just use an 11" flasher and a hoochie. It's a pretty fun way to fish, and you'll hook into some nice kings too.

Brownbear how close to the bottom are you going? Are you using an outrigger set-up like you would to troll for salmon? How close to the river mouths are we talking? Is cross catching the humpys a problem? If so can anything be done to cut down on it? Sorry for my ignorance I have only ever jigged on/near rock piles for them and thats the time of year I will likely have to go again this year, last year was the first time it got pushed that late and we had no luck.

Anyone know how to rig a humpy for a slow roll? This is the first year we can use sport caught pinks for bait. Just think bobber fishing with a live humpy for halibut. It will be like live shiners for Bass

Fresh humpy works great. We've been able to use them for years now. I just like to fillet them, an use about 1/2 a side per hook.

I use my down rigger in Oregon and troll a dodger or large flasher with a herring just like I was trolling for salmon about 3-5' off the bottom in 100' of water and have got a few that way

I work the kelps beds just like I do for kings, usually I pull as many halibut as we do kings in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Anyone know how to rig a humpy for a slow roll? This is the first year we can use sport caught pinks for bait. Just think bobber fishing with a live humpy for halibut. It will be like live shiners for Bass
    Looks like I've been breaking the law for a long time. lol. I just hook em like a monster shiner on a circle hook, they work better than live cod.

When I was chartering I would buy 100lb box of pinks for $20 lot cheaper than other bait.

Great suggestions. No real luck using a plug?

Quote Originally Posted by rcburn89 View Post
    Brownbear how close to the bottom are you going? Are you using an outrigger set-up like you would to troll for salmon? How close to the river mouths are we talking? Is cross catching the humpys a problem? If so can anything be done to cut down on it? Sorry for my ignorance I have only ever jigged on/near rock piles for them and thats the time of year I will likely have to go again this year, last year was the first time it got pushed that late and we had no luck.
    We're running them 4-6' off the bottom, much like others here. Most of our trolling is in 20-40' of water, so we just use crescent trolling weights. Never much issue with pinks because they're up on top. The don't seem to much like those large flashers either. Halibut can come pretty shallow that time of year. I bet we get 90% of ours in less than 60', with half of those in 30' or less. Lotta variation from place to place though, even in our home waters. But we have one bay where we can watch them over the side of the boat as they follow jigs, the water is so shallow.

No real luck using a plug?
    I troll them too fast for kings for halibut to take much interest in our local waters. Dunno what would happen if I slowed down, but never tried it.