Thread: Baiting in unit 15

Default Baiting in unit 15

So I realize people may be hesitant to give up any honey holes or secret locations but hopefully one of you guys might be willing to help out a newbie. I'm looking for ideas on where to look for baiting around here and as you know, it's predominantly refuge. I considered a refuge bait station behind my house but that means hiking at least a mile away through swamp which sucks. I know a lot of people will end up out off of Swanson river rd but I'm hoping to possibly go the other way and, if possible, stay on state land.

Is anyone familiar with falls creek area with relation to land ownership and bear baiting?

I can find a spot if pointed in the right direction, it's just being unfamiliar with the land still (been in the area almost 2 years) makes it tough to know land access and ownership and such

I appreciate any and all advice!

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

Nobody?

Get out and do some hiking, You will see tracks.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/MapAK/

The above link will take you to an on-line resource for basic land ownership mapping. Click on the words "enter mapping application" and go from there.

Land access in AK is tough to learn, but with updated google earth images it is getting really simple to find the right view.

Thanks guys! I wasn't worried as much about finding tracks as I was about knowing who owned the land I found them on, be it federal, state, private or native. The dnr maps will be very beneficial.

I bought the Alaska card from http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/ for my Garmin gps.
    It show land owners, Federal and state land boundaries

The Kenai Peninsula Borough has a great mapping resource that give the name and address of each land owner in the borough. You can click on the parcel of land and the owner will pop up.

Quote Originally Posted by akmac View Post
    The Kenai Peninsula Borough has a great mapping resource that give the name and address of each land owner in the borough. You can click on the parcel of land and the owner will pop up.
    That map will also color code the areas depending on private, public or whatever. I used it 3 years ago to get started. I was just on it yesterday. Takes a little time to figure out but well worth the effort. Good luck

I agree the borough GIS site is very helpful. I rely on it to find places that are a mile from dwellings. you can look at the appraised value of a proerty and it will tell you if there are any improvements, like a cabin which could be an issue. I stay away from anything that has been improved, unless I can verify is is only a gravel pad. The measuring tools can help you find a mile. One of my spots is in an area where only a small triangle of land is over a mile from all homes, I would never have found it without the GIS site.

I will have to play around with it this weekend then, thanks for the input guys

With brown baiting it will be easy to find a place to bait. Just follow the line of traffic.. Lots of folks will be baiting this year I'm sure

Even with the meat salvage requirements?