Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please hype me up! Destination Alaska VIA Minot ND

Default Please hype me up! Destination Alaska VIA Minot ND

Ok everyone. I am extremely nervous but due to medical reasons, we are not able to fly one of my children to AK so we are going to have to drive it. I plan on heading in thru Minot ND. My wife will be meeting me there with 2 of our kids. I am bringing the other one. But i guess my question is what should i know? How are diesel prices? I am not really understanding the liter thing. Tank holds about 20 gallons so. I think the biggest thing i am worried about is break downs. I have a F350 lifted, with almost new transmission. But i will have a cap on the back for storage (with fuel cans) and towing probably 12ft uhaul trailer. Any advice? I need to get pumped up. Appreciate any help/confidance building you all can give. Thanks!

also am under a time constraint, Trying to do it in 3.5 days. Can it be done?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntspud View Post
    also am under a time constraint, Trying to do it in 3.5 days. Can it be done?
    check back and read some of the posts in "relocating to AK".. I seem to recall my family and I did it from Vancouver in 8 days
    but we were NOT pushing it.. in fact I fished my way across every province in Canada. Get a recent copy of "THE MILEPOST"
    Look on Amazon.com for used copies... That will tell you where you can expect to find a fuel station, major town, grocery stores
    etc...

I did it 18 years ago from grand forks nd one I did I'd join triple a they map my route and awwek before I left checked for any construction I did the drive in 2.5 days but didn't sleep much if you can take your time a make a mini vecation out of it. Back then it seems like everything didn't open until around nine I remember sitting at a gas station for an hour until they opened up. Hope this helps
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

If both of you are taking turns driving and you don't stop you can do it that fast. I drove from Seattle to Anchroage in 2.5 day by my self once....
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I drove down the Alcan to Minnesota and back last fall with my dad and had a great trip as usual. We went through Minot and crossed the border at Portal ND. There are lots of mapping/gps options out there so I'll leave that up to you unless you need some ideas.

Minot to Anchorage is 2700 miles. Our moving average was 56 mph. We took turns driving and were on the road for 56 hours (includes rest/meal stops, fuel stops, and some photo stops). I didn't buy any fuel in Canada as I am running my truck on used vegetable oil, but prices are higher than the US/Alaska. GasBuddy.com has fuel prices through Canada until Fort St John. Yukon Fuel Prices has some average fuel prices in the Yukon. There are 3.785 liters in a gallon. So multiple the Canadian price per liter by 3.785 and then factor in the current exchange rate. Example for $1.30 per liter = $1.30 x 3.785 = $4.92 Canadian, divide that by the current exchange rate of about 1.1 and you get $4.47 US dollars. Here are a few ideas of current diesel prices in US dollars going north. Regina = $4.80, Edmonton = $4.60, Fort St John = $5.25, Whitehorse = $5.15. Use your fuel cans so you can fill up in the larger cities and bypass the more expensive fuel.

Here are some random thoughts.
    Passports for crossing the border
    As mentioned "The Milepost" is a great resource for maps, border info, business info
    Spare tire for truck and trailer
    Camera to record your trip and post here later
    Try not to drive between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake at night. There can be buffalo and other animal near or on the road
    Slow down between Burwash Landing and the Alaska/Canada border, lots of frost heaves
    Tell your credit card company that you will be traveling through Canada so they don't shut off your card
    Yukon Road Conditions current road conditions/road construction
    Canadian Weather , remember they use celsius
    1 mile = 1.6 kilometer / 1 kilometer = .62 mile

With a little planning you will have a great trip. Don't forget to use your camera. Here are a coupe of pictures from our trip.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Passports for everyone kids included! If any adult has any kind of police record including DUI or even some traffic tickets you may be denied entry into Canada.

Ok cool, I think the unkown and the road conditions are what is giving me anxiety plus the potential for breakdowns. But only thing is i have over sized tires so spare is goanna suck. How are frost heaves marked?

Also i checked that map. does not give very good desciption for cutting across from ND.

I sent you a PM. When are you planning on starting your trip?

How are frost heaves marked?
    They are marked with big bumps in the road
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Got your PM will be in touch but in the next 2-3 weeks, as soon as wife gets pass card

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    They are marked with big bumps in the road
    And big gouges in the road on the far side of them.

Just watch the centerline and you will see them.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I always watch the car ahead of me, when it goes up and down you know some frost heaves are coming.

Quote Originally Posted by HC130FE View Post
    I drove down the Alcan to Minnesota and back last fall with my dad and had a great trip as usual. We went through Minot and crossed the border at Portal ND. There are lots of mapping/gps options out there so I'll leave that up to you unless you need some ideas.

Minot to Anchorage is 2700 miles. Our moving average was 56 mph. We took turns driving and were on the road for 56 hours (includes rest/meal stops, fuel stops, and some photo stops). I didn't buy any fuel in Canada as I am running my truck on used vegetable oil, but prices are higher than the US/Alaska. GasBuddy.com has fuel prices through Canada until Fort St John. Yukon Fuel Prices has some average fuel prices in the Yukon. There are 3.785 liters in a gallon. So multiple the Canadian price per liter by 3.785 and then factor in the current exchange rate. Example for $1.30 per liter = $1.30 x 3.785 = $4.92 Canadian, divide that by the current exchange rate of about 1.1 and you get $4.47 US dollars. Here are a few ideas of current diesel prices in US dollars going north. Regina = $4.80, Edmonton = $4.60, Fort St John = $5.25, Whitehorse = $5.15. Use your fuel cans so you can fill up in the larger cities and bypass the more expensive fuel.

Here are some random thoughts.
    Passports for crossing the border
    As mentioned "The Milepost" is a great resource for maps, border info, business info
    Spare tire for truck and trailer
    Camera to record your trip and post here later
    Try not to drive between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake at night. There can be buffalo and other animal near or on the road
    Slow down between Burwash Landing and the Alaska/Canada border, lots of frost heaves
    Tell your credit card company that you will be traveling through Canada so they don't shut off your card
    Yukon Road Conditions current road conditions/road construction
    Canadian Weather , remember they use celsius
    1 mile = 1.6 kilometer / 1 kilometer = .62 mile

With a little planning you will have a great trip. Don't forget to use your camera. Here are a coupe of pictures from our trip.

Mike
    I would say that this is all very good advice. Having just driven the highway a couple weeks ago I would add that there are lots of buffalo in the area of Liard Hot Springs. In most spots where the buffalo are they have a trail plowed off the side of the road about 100 feet so and they were utilizing it well. There was a few though in the road and some just off the on the shoulder. The worst frost heaves are after Whitehorse on the Canadian side.

The gas is expensive but fill up when you get the opportunity. No use saving a few bucks just to run out later in the middle of nowhere.

Good luck and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How were the fuel stations? I run diesel so anychance you noticed availability? that and operating hours?

Huntspud,

I have driven your route more than a dozen times and maybe I can be of help.

You ask if you can do the drive in 3.5 days. In my opinion, that would be foolishly optimistic. Please do not put the lives of your family (not to mention other people on the road) in danger by attempting to drive so fast with a lifted F350 and pulling a trailer. Bear in mind that I am in my late 60s and drive like an old man - but that is how I got to be an old man. I always take 4.5 days from the border crossing at Portal (Estevan) to Haines. That means four full days to Haines Junction, YT. Also, keep in mind that you are in the shoulder season transitioning into spring and you will encounter winter conditions along your route. You are still required to have winter tires and/or carry chains until 1st of May.

Now, into specifics. You asked about cutting across ND. From Minot, head west on US2 but after only a few miles keep right onto US52 and follow that to the border at Portal. This is a good road, but has heavy oilfield truck and farm traffic. Fill up in Minot and top off in Portal so you cross into Canada with full fuel tanks. The roads in Saskatchewan are very good and there are many opportunities for fuel, but when your gauge drops below half you should start looking for a fuel stop.

Go through (or around) Regina and take highway 11 to Saskatoon. You are now on four land divided highway and the speed limit is 110 kph (65 mph). There is not a lot of traffic on this segment and it is well maintained. Lots of opportunities to top off your tanks.

Go through Saskatoon and get onto highway 16. This is the "Yellowhead Route" and you will follow it all the way through Edmondton. This highway is very well maintained and you can easily average 65 mph. Do not leave Lloydminster without full fuel tanks. That is the longest distance without convenient fuel stops.

A few (maybe 30) miles out of Edmondton you will begin to see signs that an "important intersection" is coming up. That is your cue that you need to turn on route 43 toward Whitecourt. Route 43 is still (mostly) four lane but this segment of road is known as "MOOSE ROW" and is the site of many deadly moose-vehicle encounters! Your speed will vary along here. There are many interesting small towns and lots of opportunities for fuel but do not forget the "keep your tank more than half full" rule.

You will eventually reach Dawson Creek and the start of the Alaska Highway. You are no longer on a divided highway. The Alaska Highway is no longer the wilderness adventure it once was. It is now a major truck and tourist route. It is generally well maintained, but that means you will see maintenance crews and there will be delays and slow sections.

If you see a chain-up area for truckers, that means a steep grade is ahead. Slow down! There are a few really steep sections and you want to be slowed down before you reach the grade. A real bad place is the Peace River crossing just before you reach Ft. St. John. There is nothing ignominious about guiding your trailer down this hill at 30 mph.

If you see red flags or traffic cones on the side of the road, that indicates a rough section. Some of them can be pretty bad. Slow down before you get to that spot!

You should make it from Ft. St. John to Ft. Nelson in one tank but there is fuel at Pink Mountain and just beyond (Sasquatch Crossing).

Fill up in Ft. Nelson.

Top of at Toad River if you can. It's a long, mostly fuel-less stretch to Watson Lake.

Watch for bison along the Liard River.

Others have given good information about the rest.

Ask me if you need any specific information about anything.

Drive safely!

Oh yea, i would not be driving just by myself. Me and the wife would swap but would not drive past the speed limit, she wont let me anyways . Next question. When i asked about fuel, i was trying to include driving at night, granted not as fast due to wildlife from the sounds of it. But at least it puts me one mile closer to getting out of the truck lol. How are fuel stations as far as hours? like 24 hour stuff

Fuel availability is good, you are lucky, diesel is much cheaper than gas in Canada. Do not stay in Edmonton unless you want to donate your stuff to the local economy, lots of thieves that target foreigners. Easy trip with lots to see, enjoy it. You might look at AAA, they will route you and provide roadside assistance if you join, it's peace of mind.

Oh yea, i would not be driving just by myself. Me and the wife would swap but would not drive past the speed limit, she wont let me anyways . Next question. When i asked about fuel, i was trying to include driving at night, granted not as fast due to wildlife from the sounds of it. But at least it puts me one mile closer to getting out of the truck lol. How are fuel stations as far as hours? like 24 hour stuff
    Huntspud,
    As far as fuel goes, drive as though there are no fuel stops at night-what I mean by that is there are surely some places that will be open 24 hours but after about 6pm, if you're at 3/4 tank, top it off if and when the opportunity presents itself. Worst case scenario, you wait a couple hours in the gas station parking lot for it to open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast