Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Husband wants a hand gun

Default Husband wants a hand gun

My husband wants a hand gun to carry with him while hunting-hiking-boating-etc. He wants if for protection/survival..nothing too expensive...any suggestions? His birthday is next week

44 mag if its for bear protection. 45 long colt in a Ruger can shoot some pretty hot loads too that will do just as good as the 44.

Maybe a 10mm GLOCK!!!

If a revolver, then a Ruger .357 or .44 in stainless would be good.

If semi-auto then a 10mm Glock Model 20.

Just asking, would a .357 be enough to put down a bear if need be?

.44 mag or the Ruger Vaquero in .45 long Colt ahhh! I need to tell the wife thats what I want for my Birthday. Daniel

I carry a 10mm Glock. I like the low maintenance aspect of a Glock. I don't worry if it gets wet, dirty, or otherwise gets abused by the elements. It's a rugged handgun with a decent amount of firepower.

Default Ruger...

If he reloads: Ruger 45 colt, Redhawk 5-1/2" (DA) or Blackhawk 4-5/8" (SA).

If he doesn't reload: Ruger 44 mag, Redhawk 4" (DA) or Blackhawk 4-5/8" (SA).

Nate

....I wish my wife read these forums.... I got a birthday coming up.

Default Nothing Too expensive?

Taurus Tracker in .44 mag
    5.5 Ruger SuperBlack Hawk in .44 mag
    or up the price scale a bit to a nice 629 (.44 mag)Mountian Gun from S&W.
    .357 HAS been used successfully on big bears but is not most folks first choice. It has merit in that the cartridge is chambered in some small light accurate revolvers and practice ammo is far cheaper to boot.
    I'd carry a .44 though.
    Rob

I know this may not be what you want too hear,but if it is for protection from bears,I would not trust a "cheap" handgun.I would want the best if my life depended on it.

I bought a S&W 329pd in 44 mag and really like it.It weighs 22 ounces or something like that and is a dream to carry.You dont even know it there.Load it up with the Alaskan Backpacker 320gr lead loads and I know there aint much out there that cant be stopped. Watch because the recoil is pretty fierce,but you can shoot 44 Special loads out of it to practice with.Good luck,and as stated earleir,I wish my wife bought me guns for my birthday (hey mine's next week!!!)

1. Handguns are a very personal preference.

2. Cheap and effective are not the same thing.

Pretend like you did not get him anything, then make him go for a drive. Take him into a good gunshop like great northern Guns (just an example)
    and suprise him right then and there. That way he can handle (fondle) various guns and be involved in the final purchase.
    It will insure that whatever you buy will be a 100% loved present.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Float Pilot has the best suggestion he should be in on the choice that way he gets exactly what he wants.My personal opinion would be a 44 mag of his choice nearly everyone who offers a 44 magnum now days has a good product. My wife did this very thing for me 5 years ago and I picked my own gun still have it and it's a great gun...Good luck and this man is a very lucky man too...Ronnie

I second FloatPilots advice. My wife did the same thing for me as well. He probably has one in mind already.

Default Birthday presents.....

Well I have to admit my wife just bought me my birthday present and it wasnt a .44 mag,but she did get me Weatherby Athena overunder in 12 gauge .
    Probably cause I already have a .44 but like Flaot Piolet stated we ended up at the gun shop and I fondled,held and wished for an OU and happened to really love the feel of that Weatherby and she bought it for me right then and there.
    Six more months till my birthday I better star planning now.Daniel

p.s. hey Hunting_Wife,I did by my wife a Phantom Sports Jon for her anniversary,maybe he'll buy you a boat

Default MY wife

bought me a Ruger Super Redhawk, 454 with 7.5. I really love her!!!!!!!! This winter I'll have the barrel cut to 5" to make it a little more me. 45 colt or the big bang in one weapon, The only way to go. And I own several 44's and 45 colts. They have there place, but if I have to deal with a bear with a 'smoke wagon' I want it to be something that stands a better than average chance. The 10mm Glock......well.....it's great for two legged critters and fair for hunting but for dealing with a large and pissed off bear....NO THANK YOU!!!!
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

I use a 45 GLOCK....

Default 357

Quote Originally Posted by russelljsr View Post
    I lived in Alaska from 1999 to 2005 but befor I went their I read a funny statement in a book. It said, " a .357 mag in Alaska is only good if you shoot your partner in the leg, then run and save one round for yourself "

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dbull66 View Post
    I use a 45 GLOCK....
    For what, grouse? :-)
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by russelljsr View Post
    It might not "put him down", but it ought to get him off of you so that you can crawl back to your rifle (which ought to be in the vicinity).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast