Thread: deep creek side bunks

Default deep creek side bunks

What are the requirements for side bunks to tractor launch at deep creek?

That you have some on your trailer I think... I would make them stout as well. Seen more than one guy take out the side bunks in rough water.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Charterboat Operator

DSC02520.jpgDSC02519.jpgdont use any bolt ons for sure.

Charterboat Operator

Default another thing

good idea to mount a good push plate, important for backing off the trailer, as well as landing on itDSC02495.jpg

I did find your pix after a thorough search. Thanks.

You don't think that bolt ons would work? I was heavily leaning towards getting some at the Cabelas opening if they have them. Maybe I will get the welder out......

I have some tiny little side bunks on currently that don't really do anything.

What size pipe did you use? Are they removable? Did you put PVC over the top of the pipe?

A boat bouncing in the surf can put considerable strain on the bunks, so keep in mind a bunk that is strong enough to take that abuse, and one that is large enough so you don't have a point load that will put a dent or hole in your hull when the hull comes crashing down on the bunk.

I'd think 2" round or square tubing with 0.09 wall would be a good starting point. Remember they are going to rust out, so starting with slightly thicker wall tubing is recommended.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Beefy bunks are a must. The Cabela's bolt-on models will not last long at all, this from experience.
    Side bunks that run a few feet forward plus an upright post at the end of the trailer with a piece of PVC over it is a great combination for putting the boat on the trailer, especially if it's crappy water conditions.

BK

Charterboat Operator

i have seen many bolt ons crushed, usually happens when you dont want it too as well, Thinking you could get away with welding some up then have AK spring make up some heavy duty u bolts to put them on with. none of the store bought ones that i have ever seen were anywhere near strong enough if you were to really use them.
    I dont think that the posts at the back are really necessary unless you are going to launch all the time. They are handy when the tractor guy screws up and gets your trailer completely cross ways in about a 5 MPH current, have used mine many times to pivot on. Usually you dont need them.
    just remember when you are putting your boat on the trailer, you are NOT in a lake! throttle in under power until you are in your bunks then chop the power. the tractors can catch you if you happen to be too fast, but if you pull off the power too soon, it usually = a miss!!

Good input. Thanks. I only plan to do this MAYBE one time a year. I will probably just build them.

I grew up on the beach in deep Creek watching people launch and retrieve there boats and it has always amazed me how fast they hit the trailer coming in.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I was on a charter where the young captain brought the boat into the trailer at over 10 knots........I about had to order a change of britches.

Is it really necessary to come in 'that' fast ?

I am again considering just taking a charter.........

Conditions determine how aggressive you will load or unload.
    Obviously on a nice calm day, it's easy. On a crappy day, things could go sideways in a hurry. Thus the bunks and a good stop at the front of your trailer are necessary.

BK

My Brother was a guide down there for Ninilchik Saltwater for 3-4 years, he has hundreds of landing on the beach and not one ever missed. He is quite proud but said "if your not on step when you hit your going too slow"....

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I was on a charter where the young captain brought the boat into the trailer at over 10 knots........I about had to order a change of britches.

Is it really necessary to come in 'that' fast ?

I am again considering just taking a charter.........

On step in my boat is about 14-15mph.........seems pretty fast to me. It is a small boat - 18'er.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Fact of the matter is that the only time you have control of the boat is under power, and when you are coming into your trailer in a 2 foot chop and 5 kt cross current, you dang well better have control!!! Also, it's a good idea to make your bunks/guide-ons considerably taller than the gunwale as the boat sits on the trailer.

Yep, every boat is different but when driving an 28 ft boat with 8 people on board in the 2 ft swells with a big wind you do what you have to do to get it on the trailer. I have seen it done hundreds of times... right as the boat hits the trailer the skidder guy will raise the trailer about two feet in the front and the boat cuts its engines... slide right up on the trailer.

You know how the inlet is. Not to be trifled with, but accessible. Most of the time. While it's been a few years, I started launching at Deep Creek before the tractors were there. I have launched in the creek a few times in a smaller boat at high tide. (Do they still allow that?)

There will usually be a swell and you can just idle onto the trailer. The higher the surf, the more throttle I needed to keep her straight.
    In our heyday we were launching a couple dozen times a year for over 10 years. I have spent one night on the hook waiting for better water. We pushed our luck that night. Anyway, if the weather is less than bad, you'll have few issues. Those guys know what they are doing.

Here is a crappy picture of my bunks. 3" channel iron stanchions with a 2x6 bunk. Stout as hell and inlet tested. I like the bunks so I can run along them in a current without putting the bow out over the fenders in the surf. We can swing by and look at them if you're interested.

Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

stop by when you get a couple minutes at lunch sometime -

did you bolt them on or weld them? 1/4" or 3/16" channel?

Throwing these on for others to view. Already passed them on to the o.p.er.

}:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it