Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drone Hunting

Default Drone Hunting

http://www.adn.com/2014/03/23/338984.../99/100/&ihp=1

I'm glad that they are making this a law.

The other thing that caught my attention in the artical was the "exploding salt licks" never heard of that one.

Does anybody have a link to the actual text that was approved?

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Does anybody have a link to the actual text that was approved?
    If you go to this link: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ting=anchorage, go down to proposal 180. I think this is the one that was discussed. I think this is just the original proposal, so may not necessarily be the version that was ultimately passed.

Default prop 180 is flawed

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    If you go to this link: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ting=anchorage, go down to proposal 180. I think this is the one that was discussed. I think this is just the original proposal, so may not necessarily be the version that was ultimately passed.
    Thanks. That link allowed me to find a direct link to the text: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-f/...march_2014.pdf

Just as I suspected. Darn them. Lawmakers are just not that good a passing laws about new tech. For example the no txting bill we passed in AK allows the use of devices that are exactly the same but not technically a text, e.g. a GPS, camera, etc...

In this case of prop 180 they were flawed in adding the words "remotely controlled". Think about it. What will stop some enterprising young chap from using an Estes rocket with camera in the nosecone - those are dirt cheap, and they'll be allowed (still) under the new prop because they are not remote controlled.

I'm sorry, but I'm calling 180 dumb dumb dumb.

I'm sure we can see the problems with trying to regulate the use of Drones beyond just a complete ban. However, did you note this quote from Trooper Captain Chastain,
    "Other people don't have a fair opportunity to take game if somebody else is able to do that,"

That quote could be said of any technology we use for hunting. There is always something one guy can afford the other can't. Maybe a better way to equalize us hunters is to just put a dollar limit on how much one guy can have in the field!!!!!!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Unhappy Drone hunting

I thought from the title that this was going to be about being able to shoot drones out of the air! Well, guess that will have to wait until next year!

was this really a problem???? how many people have actually seen or used a drone aircraft to harvest game..

next it will be trail cameras, or bino's, spoting scopes???

I believe some things just get out of hand to quickly- and out of the reilm of common sense!

illegal to use thermal imagery to locate downed animals... use of blood trailing cats and dogs to find wounded game??

here's an idea- lets pick an arbitary date in time and say no technology produced after that date.

how about 1935? or maybe you like weatherby style rifles.. so 196o...
    or maybe you like what came out of the space program (after 1969) so you can use you drop compensator...

the more legistration, the more restriction we will tolerate in the future!

sure, I like to hunt with a stick and string, and even use BP front stuffers... but I also like using a modern bolt action with varible scope, and I enjoy staying warm in my "space Age" underwear!

my soap box 2 cents today- and I believe I will still stand up tommorrow and say the same thing- don't agree to limits- unless there is a significant reason to do so!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    was this really a problem???? how many people have actually seen or used a drone aircraft to harvest game..
    While I don't think too many people HAVE used them in the past (although some have), they have just gone the way of flat screen TV's in the last year or so and are all over the place and fairly cheap. Before very recent times (like this year), they were to the point of being far too expensive for most to even consider, but now you can get into it for a few hundred dollars and have a lot more capability. With the boom in availability at cheap prices, they would probably be pretty commonly used in just a year or two if they didn't address it quickly.

So I can fly myself and shoot the next day, but not fly a model plane and shoot the next day? How is that fair.

So, how do I prove to the trooper that I was not using it for hunting, just flying my model plane with a GoPro on it?

I think it should be just like real planes... Not in the same day as shooting.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This is a good move. In a day and age of less and less (sheep, moose, caribou, whatever) the last thing we need to do is start taping go pro's to drones. No need for it. Keep it fair chase. Flying and scouting takes resources and effort, flying a play toy with a camera isn't hunting. Why not mount a gun to the drone while we're at it?

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    This is a good move. In a day and age of less and less (sheep, moose, caribou, whatever) the last thing we need to do is start taping go pro's to drones. No need for it. Keep it fair chase. Flying and scouting takes resources and effort, flying a play toy with a camera isn't hunting. Why not mount a gun to the drone while we're at it?
    So the only difference is "resources"? So basically money right?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I'm sure we can see the problems with trying to regulate the use of Drones beyond just a complete ban. However, did you note this quote from Trooper Captain Chastain,
    "Other people don't have a fair opportunity to take game if somebody else is able to do that,"

That quote could be said of any technology we use for hunting. There is always something one guy can afford the other can't. Maybe a better way to equalize us hunters is to just put a dollar limit on how much one guy can have in the field!!!!!!!
    I picked up on that quote too. I dont know what these kind of people are thinking. Someone should have immediately put him on the spot and asked him exactly what he means by it. That would be interesting.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    So the only difference is "resources"? So basically money right?
    I think it's unethical to use video surveillance for hunting--this isn't simply a trail cam. Seems like a no-brainer. Can you fathom the abuse of this by guides & hunters? I can...

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    I think it's unethical to use video surveillance for hunting--this isn't simply a trail cam. Seems like a no-brainer. Can you fathom the abuse of this by guides & hunters? I can...
    I find it no different than flying in a super cub. The only real difference is whether your eyes are physically looking at an animal, or a camera is after you pull the video. As far as game management is concerned, there is no logical difference. To be fair to all concerned, it should be the same rules as an airplane.... no flying and shooting in the same day.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I find it no different than flying in a super cub. The only real difference is whether your eyes are physically looking at an animal, or a camera is after you pull the video. As far as game management is concerned, there is no logical difference. To be fair to all concerned, it should be the same rules as an airplane.... no flying and shooting in the same day.
    Just to clarify, many of these systems available now allow for real-time video, meaning the operator is watching what is being seen by the drone/camera at the same time it is seeing it. There are some that would require you to view the video after, but many don't.

I don't know the reasoning they used for eliminating their use altogether as opposed to applying the same or similar restrictions that are already in place for same day airborne. It could be just a case of making it easier to enforce. It probably isn't too hard to determine if someone has been up flying in a plane the same day they took and animal, but probably a lot harder to determine if they used a "drone" the same day. Much less obvious and less physical evidence of when the flight took place with a drone than with a full size airplane. I'm just speculating on that though.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Just to clarify, many of these systems available now allow for real-time video, meaning the operator is watching what is being seen by the drone/camera at the same time it is seeing it. There are some that would require you to view the video after, but many don't.

I don't know the reasoning they used for eliminating their use altogether as opposed to applying the same or similar restrictions that are already in place for same day airborne. It could be just a case of making it easier to enforce. It probably isn't too hard to determine if someone has been up flying in a plane the same day they took and animal, but probably a lot harder to determine if they used a "drone" the same day. Much less obvious and less physical evidence of when the flight took place with a drone than with a full size airplane. I'm just speculating on that though.
    IMO, enforcement difficulty is not my problem, it's theirs.

In my personal case, I don't like the way it is written since I want to use one at my cabin from time to time. To check trail conditions, to see who's in the parking lot, to see who's at their cabins in my neighborhood. The way it is written, if I happen to use my plane, and it happens to be during an open season, then the onus is on ME to prove I wasn't using it for hunting.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

No drones for hunting purposes

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    I thought from the title that this was going to be about being able to shoot drones out of the air! Well, guess that will have to wait until next year!
    What is the limit and what size shot would you suggest?

In all seriousness I think it is a good idea IMHO because the majority of people would abide by laws of not shooting on same day as spying from the sky but some would take advantage of it. I also think people would use them to herd animals or birds toward the hunter.
    It would be a awesome way to check trail conditions and such as mentioned earlier, as well as checking on neighbor cabins etc....
    Now if I could just get one that was submersible...

I saw a show from Texas where they are finding hogs at night with drones to set up for hunts with night vision. Fine for getting rid of nuisance animals destroying crops but the technology is getting seriously weird! For example the deer feeder set up with a rifle that can be controlled by a computer from a paying customer in another state- just to see it killed..nuts.

I will shoot down every drone I can. No reason for them in the field other than S&R such things.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

IMO, enforcement difficulty is not my problem, it's theirs.

In my personal case, I don't like the way it is written since I want to use one at my cabin from time to time. To check trail conditions, to see who's in the parking lot, to see who's at their cabins in my neighborhood. The way it is written, if I happen to use my plane, and it happens to be during an open season, then the onus is on ME to prove I wasn't using it for hunting.
    That means they have their problem (enforcement), and you have yours (prove you werent hunting). Seems fair.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast