Thread: How long do commerical fisherman usually work?

Default How long do commerical fisherman usually work?

Say on a troller, how many months at a time do fisherman usually work, and do they typically only work one stint a year or do they go out for multiple periods at a time? Also, what would you say the pay is typically like on a troller, from the time the boat leaves port to the time it is done? Assuming the fishing is decent of course.

Good commercial fisherman work until the work is done! As for pay there is no typical amount, and never will be. You are not asking the right questions. I have a commercial boat, and if you walked up to me and asked the same questions you have in your post I would not even think of letting you step foot on my boat. If you are going to be looking for work on a boat show up at a boat yard in the area you want to work and sell your self. If you see someone working on getting their boat ready to go offer to help then ask if they know of anyone looking for a deckhand. If you are looking to buy a boat and start commercial fishing go all in and do it right. It will take money. Best of luck. My kid has had a crew share of around $6000 the last three years.

I'm a powertroller in the winter, spring, and fall. I charter in the summer. You can troll almost year round right now. Most boats start fishing in March, and end in Sept when they get sick of it.

Here are the seasons:

July 1-Sept 20. Summer Troll Season
    Oct 12 (I think)- April 30ish. Winter troll. It's shut down when we reach 45k kings.
    May/June- Various spring king hatchery openings.

As far as money.. Just do the math. Cohos average about 5.5lbs for the season. Average price has been around 1.85lb. A good boat can do 5000 cohos. Highliners do 7000. Hit em big in Sept when they are a 6lb average, and over $2 a pound, and you can have some big trips. Kings in the summer average 12lbs. $4 a pound. Most good boats do between 250-500, barring the low abundance years. Some do more. Winter fishing is hit and miss, but when the fish are 10.50 like they are right now, you don't have to catch many. The fish are averaging over $100 now, and if you scratch up 3 a day in front of down, it's a decent wage. All the stats are on the ADFG website. Kings average $4.50lb in the spring openings. All the info is on the ADFG website on how many were caught in what opener, and how many boats where there.

Thing thing about trolling is that you have to know how to fish. You have to find them, and make them bite. It's not a terminal fishery in front of a river where the fish have to pass through, and it's a big ocean. Huge difference in catch rates between a highliner and a lowliner. A highliner could have a 700 king summer season, and a lowliner can catch 50.

A highliner could have a 700 king summer season, and a lowliner can catch 50.

270 What is the difference between a highliner and a lowliner?
    Thanks!

A highliner is a top fisherman, and a lowliner sucks and should look for a new job!