Thread: Homer winter king tournament press release

Default Homer winter king tournament press release

2014 WKT champion_lowres.jpg2014 WKT top three_lowres.jpg
    2014 HOMER WINTER KING SALMON TOURNAMENT

Congratulations to our 2014 Winter King Tournament Champion—Raymond Tepp of Kenai, AK winning $19,026 with a 30.6 lbs. king.

Yesterday’s (March 22, 2014) 21st Annual Homer Winter King Tournament was a great success with 906 anglers fishing from 270 boats who caught 202 fish. This year’s tournament was the second best, in terms of those numbers, winter king event that the Homer Chamber of Commerce has ever produced.

Yesterday’s sunny skies and comfortable seas meant that all 270 boats, including three kayaks, could get out and enjoy fishing the entire day.

Top Ten winners in the Tournament who shared in the $67, 950 pool were:

1 Raymond Tepp / Kenai AK Inlet Plunder 30.60 $19,026.00
    2 Eric Kjelland / Eagle River AK Liberty 25.90 $12,684.00
    3 Jon Bartelds / Kenai AK Tern 25.70 $9,966.00
    4 Matt Hockema / Fritz Creek AK Arctic Assault 25.40 $7,248.00
    5 William Lancaster / Homer AK Let's Go 23.90 $5,436.00
    6 Brandon / McCutcheon / Anchorage Da Yooper 23.30 $4,530.00
    7 Matt Wasson / Anchorage AK Anchorman 23.20 $3,624.00
    8 Toras Fisk (92 years old) Homer AK Silver Beach 22.50 $2,718.00
    9 Steve / Whiting Anchorage AK Tide Runner 22.20 $1,812.00
    10 Russell / Geagel Seldovia AK Miss Brookie 21.50 $906.00

Eleventh-Twentieth place winners shared in merchandise worth $5625:

11 Colton Collier / Seldovia AK Northern C 20.80 Merchandise
    12 Kathy McDonough / Homer AK Latis 20.30 Merchandise
    13 Wylie Donich / Homer AK Optimist 19.90 Merchandise
    14 Jake Garner / Anchorage AK Reel Screamer 19.90 Merchandise
    15 Mark Lockwood / Kenai AK Catcher 19.80 Merchandise
    16 Doug Garland / Palmer AK Water Spirit 19.80 Merchandise
    17 Charlie Edwards / Homer AK Triton 18.90 Merchandise
    18 Jane Klopfer / Anchorage AK Big Kahuna 18.80 Merchandise
    19 Ariel Mercier / Sterling AK Equus 18.80 Merchandise
    20 Lenny Dipalo / Kasilof AK Spare Change 18.30 Merchandise

Boat Side Bet payout totaled $47,775.

It’s interesting to note that the Boat Side Bet money was shared out more widely this year. In the past, many years the Side Bet gambles went to the boat with the Champion winner on it. That individual could wind up with twice as much in winnings.

This year however, the winning captain and boat did not place side bets, and that opened it up throughout all the Side Bet categories.

The Skunk Bet (betting that the boat caught at least one fish) payout was $107.61 per boat. 132 entered, 46 won.

Other prizes awarded:
    The Youth Award (17, or less, years old), sponsored by the Homer Chamber of Commerce ($250), was won by Wylie Donich, who also placed 13th overall. This is the second year Wylie has taken home the Youth Award. He was fishing on his dad Daniel’s boat, the Optimist.

Largest white king, sponsored by Café Cups ($250) was won by Mark Bevins of Kenai with a 17.6 lbs fish, fishing on the In-Seine.

The John Hillstrand Memorial Award, given to the boat captain who had the Tournament’s Champion onboard, went to Raymond Tepp, who was piloting his own boat, Inlet Plunder.

Although a kayak category was introduced this year, none of the three kayakers entered caught a fish, so no prize was given.

Roughly 40% of anglers entered were from Anchorage, and 40% from Homer. The other 20% came from Outside and other towns in Alaska.

Caption;
    2014 WKT Top Three:
    Top three winners, l-r, in the 21st annual Homer Winter King Tournament sponsored by the Homer Chamber of Commerce, March 22,
    Third place - Jon Bartelds, Eagle River, 25.7 lbs
    Second place - Eric Kjelland, Eagle River, 25.9 lbs
    Champion - Raymond Tepp, Kenai, 30.6 lbs.

Thanks again Cliffhanger, despite getting blanked, we had a blast! Couldn't beat the weather...at least in the Islands.

My questions is..."Don't the fish sizes seem smaller than usual for the top ten?" I find that a bit odd given the some of the pics I saw of the fish being caught the week prior.

I will be back! Gotta get this March fishery dialed in. I have Sept - November forta figured out. I've caught feeders in March. But nothing Jan through April.

Thanks again!!!!

The size is on par of what has been around all winter! You have to take pictures for what they are. Lots of 30lb fish were killed this king derby they just lost weight at coal point as for what was being caught the last week they were nice fish too!

Based on this statement...

Roughly 40% of anglers entered were from Anchorage, and 40% from Homer. The other 20% came from Outside and other towns in Alaska.
    I find it interesting that of the 20 listed "winners", only 30% were from Anchorage, 30% were from Homer, and the other 40% were from other towns in Alaska, with no winners from Outside.

Sounds like the "other towns" out-fished ya'll.

Just an observation from an "other towner".
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

7 out of the top 20 were from the greater Anchorage area out to Palmer, and the rest of the top 20 came from the KP.

OMG... you called Palmer part of Anchorage!?! I know some folks in Palmer that would sock ya for such slander.

And I was hesitant to include Eagle River as part of Anchorage or Fritz Creek as part of Homer. After all, each is its own "other town".

(The "point" was the author's use of "other towns" when referring to the parts of Alaska that weren't Anchorage or Homer)
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I did not include Palmer I said "out to Palmer". As for Fritz Creek that is the PO box, the street number is listed as Homer. Most could just say they live at the Salty Dawg most of the time they are not fishing. Thank god the Salty Dawg had beer, after the derby committee dropped the ball on the beer and food this year.

Hero Shot! Nice job Eric!

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

And Capt. Nemo always does photo "tricks" to make his fish look bigger!!! LOL!

Well....that, or everyone that fishes on the Huntress is required to have sausage fingers!!!

Thanks again Jim and everyone, we had a blast, didn't get one this year, but still had a great time! (At least we came away with sweatshirts!)