Thread: HP for a 8ft inflatable

Default HP for a 8ft inflatable

So I have a 7'11" Mercury Inflatable. Transom supports up to 5HP. I was wondering if anyone could share experiance with a 8ft inflatable and HP sizes. Was looking at the 2.5HP and the 4HP but really am hoping the 2.5HP is enough. Just not sure..... Thought of the 4HP in case I ever upgraded inflatables but it is almost twice the cost and I really don't see needing a bigger inflatable for awhile.

Tanks Ya'll!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

P.S. I use this inflatable as a tender to get to shore and for hunting.

have 4 hp i use on 10 footer occasionally works well but won't get on step but gets me to shore . 2.5 will work for the tender but don't expect any major speeds and could be a problem in stiff wind or strong current.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I have used my Honda 2hp. on a 14' john boat loaded with 5 guys in a very healthy wind with little trouble. As posted above, don't expect any speed records, but it will get you there.

Default hey man

I bought a 8'6'' raft from Jim King. It is not zodiak style but a round raft with a removable transome. He told me it is rated for 5hp also but recomended the honda 2hp four stroke fan cooled, no pump to back flush. He said the 5hp won't push much faster due to style of raft, has raised floor but no vee. So if your raft has a vee a 4hp might do good. But think for you will use it for 2hp will good and atleast save you from rowing, i am ready to buy a motor for mine. Just need to see where i can fit one for storage on the bow. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    I bought a 8'6'' raft from Jim King. It is not zodiak style but a round raft with a removable transome. He told me it is rated for 5hp also but recomended the honda 2hp four stroke fan cooled, no pump to back flush. He said the 5hp won't push much faster due to style of raft, has raised floor but no vee. So if your raft has a vee a 4hp might do good. But think for you will use it for 2hp will good and atleast save you from rowing, i am ready to buy a motor for mine. Just need to see where i can fit one for storage on the bow. Hope that helps.
    Yeah, I am thinking 2.5HP will work. Just to get on the bears right! Tired of rowing. Its a flat bottom not a V but I think it will still move enough to beat rowing!

Just a different note...

I got tired of screwing around with an outboard for my inflatable, when just using it for tendering and getting to shore for a hunt. Now, I just row. It's so much less hassle.

I also seldom use a motor on my dinghy, it's usually more trouble than it's worth. If I was buying a small motor just for a dinghy weight would be the most important factor. The lighter the motor the easier it will be to install, remove, and move around.

Default yes indeed

it should be enough for that. the main reason Jim King told me what he did was because the flat bottom style won't really plane. Plus since there is no vee they don't track very well either. Plus the motors are lighter. If going with a two stroke water cooled the Tahotsu 3.5 weighs as much as the 2hp 4 stroke honda. I was looking at that motor at the boat show. but i think I might like the 2hp 4 stroke honda better because it is fan cooled, sucks it is a honda though. Not sure of any other new fan cooled motors out there. I think will be a pain to flush every time.