Thread: Staying on Trail River between Lower Trail lake and Kenai Lake

Talking Staying on Trail River between Lower Trail lake and Kenai Lake

I will be spending a week at a cabin on Trail River between Lower Trail lake and Kenai Lake Aug 19 to 25th.

I have lots of experience fly fishing for smaller trout, but I really want to try for steelhead in this area.

Any tips for great fishing in or close to Trail River?

I was unaware there were any steelhead in that area.
    I know the Kenai river does not have a known resident steelhead population though there are a few reported cases of them being caught there.
    Should be a fun trip wish I had some advice for you.
    Good luck!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

The only steelhead runs on the Kenai peninsula is south of soldotna. Seward area has no steelhead. However trail river/ lake does have lake trout, folly varden, and resident rainbow trout. Ptarmigan creek has dollies and rainbows too but not very big ones. Mostly under 16"

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    The only steelhead runs on the Kenai peninsula is south of soldotna. Seward area has no steelhead. However trail river/ lake does have lake trout, folly varden, and resident rainbow trout. Ptarmigan creek has dollies and rainbows too but not very big ones. Mostly under 16"
    That works for me!
    Is the fishing better late Aug in the lake or river?

Do most people use fly rods or other methods in the area?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdave23 View Post
    That works for me!
    Is the fishing better late Aug in the lake or river?

Do most people use fly rods or other methods in the area?
    fishing should be excellent at the mouths of most streams at that time. Find the salmon. There will no doubt be trout feeding on thier eggs. Beads, ESLs , and flesh flies should do the trick. In some parts of the lakes you can use bait but make sure you check the regulations first. Spinners might work but fly rod is def the way to go. Watch out for bears.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    fishing should be excellent at the mouths of most streams at that time. Find the salmon. There will no doubt be trout feeding on thier eggs. Beads, ESLs , and flesh flies should do the trick. In some parts of the lakes you can use bait but make sure you check the regulations first. Spinners might work but fly rod is def the way to go. Watch out for bears.
    Thanks for the tips. I have no interest in using spinners, I prefer my fly rod so this sounds great!

Is the salmon run late Aug and early Sept?

Salmon run is June-November. You can also find the occasional grayling in ptarmigan creek.

Default You might get lucky after all

Believe it or not, right where the trail river feeds into Kenai Lake I caught a steelhead about 5 years ago in the fall. Absoulutely certain of it. Shortly after, there was an article in Anchorage Daily News, ADF&G talking about occasional steelhead in Kenai Lake. I wouldn't overlook fishing in Trail Lake while I was there. There are a lot of nice char in that lake. Fish in the evening after the winds lay down. Beware, its very shallow.

QF