Thread: opinions on how close to the bait to shoot

Default opinions on how close to the bait to shoot

I have always set my tree stand anywhere from 15 to 25 yards. I figure you get a easy shot that you can make sure you hit where you are supposed to. Today I was talking with a friend that said he would prefer 50 yards 25 seems just too close for his comfort level. Any experiences with setting it further away than 25 yards . Do you feel it is better from a safety point and do the bears seem less aware?

Since I archery hunt, I have always stayed between 15-20 yds. If your shooting a rifle you could go farther but I don't see any advantage unless its nerves.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

15-20 yards. Where I hunt you can't see 50 yards.

Too darn many Alaskan shows worrying everyone about bears and too many gun counter guys telling everyone they need a 750 Whisbang 4" pistol.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Bears have the incredible ability to pinpoint sound. You didn't say if you will be bow or rifle hunting. If you have a squeeky stand or feel that for some reason it's hard not to keep really quiet, then 15 yards might be too close. The area you have the bait can pretty much determine how far. If you are shooting a rifle and have a few good shooting lanes, then nothing wrong with anything up to 50 yards. But if you just can't see the bait very well past 20, unless you want to do a lot of clearing then you pretty much have your answer.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have my stand at 80 yards from the bait. It lets me get in and out quietly and without worrying about scent. I also like to go bait the barrel and leave one direction then Swing back around to the stand from another direction. Also gives my daughter and wife a sense of security.

25 yards and under for me.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    25 yards and under for me.
    Do you kill a lot of bears down there Will...??? I mean like at least one every year?

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Bears have the incredible ability to pinpoint sound. ..
    Does that mean you can't play I tunes on your head set while waiting for a bear?
    The reason for the question..... I remember one of the guy's saying that what he did and never saw a bear when he was in the stand. Some hunters are there worst enemy. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Does that mean you can't play I tunes on your head set while waiting for a bear?
    Could be......yesterday I could hear my mother-n-law on the other end of the phone conversation with my wife and I was in the other room.....and I'm hard-o-hearin'...!!!.........lol

Did you actually hear your mother-in-law or did you feel the presence of evil?

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Did you actually hear your mother-in-law or did you feel the presence of evil?
    ......Naw, she's a good gal.......just really loud. My wife told me she had to hold the phone away from her ear to talk to her.........lol

So........ your wife reads your posts......... don't worry I wont tell........ for a price!!!!!!!

Just kidding!!!!!!! LOL

Serious did you every feel like something was watching you and later see a bear or tracks

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Do you kill a lot of bears down there Will...??? I mean like at least one every year?
    When I lived in Haines yes but here I probably could just don't try as much,love just watching them mostly now except when wanting meat. One thing I know is I've never taken a bear without my pipe burning and enjoying myself.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I guess I have been involved with bear baiting for around 10 years. From the stand to bait barrel is around 25 feet line of sight. The stand is around 10 feet off the ground. This is a bowhunting stand so the shots are close. When a bear decides he is going to have dinner there they are hard to run off. They know we are there. I think 25 feet is about perfect for the archer.

If you are shooting rifle, setting up further out from the bait gives you a little better margin for sound and movement. The closer you get to the bait, the quieter and more still you have to be. Bears will hang out for hours making sure its ok to come in sometimes... They circle, testing for scent, sound or sight of a hunter. I think the true test of how effective a stand location is is not the number of bears shot at the site, but the number of bears over 6' squared. Little bears will come in no matter what, if they're hungry enough. Big bears wait and don't come in until you're gone, if they're able to see, smell or hear you.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    If you are shooting rifle, setting up further out from the bait gives you a little better margin for sound and movement. The closer you get to the bait, the quieter and more still you have to be. Bears will hang out for hours making sure its ok to come in sometimes... They circle, testing for scent, sound or sight of a hunter. I think the true test of how effective a stand location is is not the number of bears shot at the site, but the number of bears over 6' squared. Little bears will come in no matter what, if they're hungry enough. Big bears wait and don't come in until you're gone, if they're able to see, smell or hear you.
    +1 to what he said. This is the guy to listen to. As for me, I like to stay within 15-20 yards away, but I set up my stands for shooting a recurve. I have setup stands for rifle hunting before and we cleared shooting lanes, so if your area allows it then move out a little ways and maybe just make a shooting lane.

If you are bow hunting though, I would advise you not to go past 30 yards, there is too much that can happen at distances farther than that which interferes with with taking an ethical bow shot, like bears moving, wind drift, etc. The last thing you want is a bad shot and a wounded bear... Its not a pretty sight or a fun adventure.

I have not noticed a difference in the close distance and far distance stands, most of the time a bear doesn't know I am even there or if they do, they never acknowledge my presence and I am able to slam an arrow into the boiler room. From a logical standpoint it would make sense that the farther away you are, the less likely they are to be aware of you, but remember this as well, as our friend above stated, bears do many things to try and find us. They circle you multiple times and try to find you by using the wind, they will sit on their butts 100 yards out and listen for movement or any sound and other bears (sometimes for the duration of your sit), they will wait for the cover of nightfall before moving in.

Bears are smart as hell and tricky sometimes. Trial and error are going to be your absolute best ways to figuring these out my friend. Best of luck to you.