Thread: help identify

Default help identify

I am thinking springfield but maybe enfield all I have is this pic to go on an help appreciated it is in 30'06
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is some type of sporterized Mauser. Has a new bolt handle, new stock, and what looks like a new safety.

thanks after you said that I could look up some mauser actions and see the similiarity

Yep, 98 Mauser of sorts. Left side of the receiver or the top of the front receiver ring may offer more clues. But, with just this photo, not much info to go on.....
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

How can you tell 98 just by looking at it? I thought the 98 and 93 were identical except the 93 cocked on closing and the 98 cocked on opening.

how about a photo of the other side

bolt release, and maybe one from the top

it's possibly a 03 that been sporterized also

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    How can you tell 98 just by looking at it? I thought the 98 and 93 were identical except the 93 cocked on closing and the 98 cocked on opening.
    93, 95 and 96 Mausers have a smaller dia front ring, and the safety/gas shroud is smaller as well vs. the 98.

Random google image

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Not a Springfield because of the hump on the rear bridge for the stripper clip. A 98 because of the large front receiver ring. After you have had several ten thousands of them in your hands, you can spot certain rifles at a distance. I can just look at it and know its a Mauser 98. And the trigger guard is incorrect for a Springfield. Blah blah blah....
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    The bolt shroud, I think you call it, is different, and looks different on a 98.

It's hard to mistake a 93 or a 95 for a 98, or vise versa. Even if you don't check function.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Not a Springfield because of the hump on the rear bridge for the stripper clip. A 98 because of the large front receiver ring. After you have had several ten thousands of them in your hands, you can spot certain rifles at a distance. I can just look at it and know its a Mauser 98. And the trigger guard is incorrect for a Springfield. Blah blah blah....
    Gunbugs, ya cracked me up....and as usual you is right again!

There were a whole bunch of companies that got a hold of the 98 mauser actions and stuck on a sporter barrel/ stock then sold them on the commercial market. They are for the most part great guns for the money. I got one off gunbroker a few years ago for $150 and it was as good as any gun in the safe. It had a Santa Barbara action. Shoulda kept it but didn't! The action was worth twice what I paid for the whole gun!