Thread: Yamaha Outboard fuel tanks

Default Yamaha Outboard fuel tanks

I need a fuel tank for my new Yamaha T50. The largest size it seems anyone sells is 6gallons. At a fuel burn of 3gph, that's unacceptable. Any idea on where i can find a larger tank?

Quote Originally Posted by ShoBoat View Post
    I need a fuel tank for my new Yamaha T50. The largest size it seems anyone sells is 6gallons. At a fuel burn of 3gph, that's unacceptable. Any idea on where i can find a larger tank?
    I use a pair of 15 gallon barrels With sucker hoses rigged inside. Fish Creek Sales on the Palmer/Wasilla hwy sells them.

West Marine shows above deck tanks of 15, 16, 20, and 26 gallon.

Redden shows 12, 15, 18, 20, and 26 gallon.

Hook
    Bernie C
    27 Bayweld

Could help you if you gave more info on your boat. You might look into having custom tanks built, or fuel bladders. If you want to PM me I have a boat shop in Homer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShoBoat View Post

you can get a 12 gallon at WM for about 100$. I bought a 26 gallon plastic rectangle tank from them several years ago for about 230$.

The problem seems to be that in approx. 2012, Yamaha "changed" something with their outboards and now you don't use a vented tank. There seems to be a lack of info about this on the internet, but Dewey's told me 6 gallons is all I get in one tank. My boat is a 1987 Koffler lite. 18' long with forward controls. Seats 4. It is a shallow V with NO room under the floor for anything, so fuel goes on top by the transom. And I just had a new motor installed. It had zero hours-ready for me to break it in.

It hard to give advice with out seeing your boat. That said, I have seen Heavy Weather boats make odd shape fuel tank that will fit your boat. You might talk with him or get something that will work for now.