Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: handload me a few .45acp bear rounds?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    61

    Default handload me a few .45acp bear rounds?

    I know there is many better options for bear protection, but I plan on brown bear hunting this spring. using a .375h&h with 300 noslers. backed up with my father on a 300wm with 180 soft points. I would like some heavy penetrating .45acp for the extra "just in case"

    I do not reload, but if someone here does, and has the tools and such, i would be willing to buy two or three clips worth!

    must be able to feed through my 4.25in barrel .45 1911.

    oh i'm located in Homer, so closer the better, but i'll be making a trip or two to anc as well.

  2. #2
    Member Alangaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    If it was me, I think I would just carry it with 230 gr fmj ball ammo... that should give about the best pennetration.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

  3. #3
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kachemak Bay Alaska
    Posts
    4,218

    Default

    Yeap. The 45 ACP is too slow to be worth much unless you use regular old 230 grain full jacketed bullets. They might penetrate far enough that the bear will eventually die and the fish and game guys will be able to identify parts of you in his digestive tract.

    The 1911 design does not lend itself to loading higher pressure loads. The chamber areas is mostly unsupported and you get case blow-out.

    You already are taking along two rifles of appropriate power. Replace the weight of the pistol with a good canteen.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

  4. #4
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    You don't know anyone with a bear revolver they would lend you?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spdcrazy View Post
    I know there is many better options for bear protection, but I plan on brown bear hunting this spring. using a .375h&h with 300 noslers. backed up with my father on a 300wm with 180 soft points. I would like some heavy penetrating .45acp for the extra "just in case"

    I do not reload, but if someone here does, and has the tools and such, i would be willing to buy two or three clips worth!

    must be able to feed through my 4.25in barrel .45 1911.

    oh i'm located in Homer, so closer the better, but i'll be making a trip or two to anc as well.
    Here ya go..... 45 ACP Bear Medicine in your 1911. Check the Ballistics, etc.

    http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.p...product_id=650

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    61

    Default

    the 230 ball ammo was going to be my option until i learned about the cast options that seem to give more penetration yet. I agree with two rifles i'll be more than ok, but you never know. things change and I'd like to be as best prepared as I can.

    I do attempt not to borrow weapons. this would just give me some added security.

  7. #7
    Member gunbugs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    1,382

    Default

    Do not use other peoples handloads in your gun. That is a recipe for disaster. Especially if you are going to bet your life on them. But then, maybe you don't place as high a value on yours as I do mine... The worst sound on the planet is a click when you expect a bang. Next to a bang when you expect a click...
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Wal-Mart carries Buffalo Bore in .45 ACP, so does 3 bears. I don't own one so I haven't been looking lately but they had them this summer when a buddy of mine insisted on carrying his 1911.

    I hand load and I don't even carry my own hand loads for self defense from people or bears.

    I would also suggest putting something stouter than soft points in that .300.

  9. #9
    Member alaskabliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Do not use other peoples handloads in your gun. That is a recipe for disaster. Especially if you are going to bet your life on them. But then, maybe you don't place as high a value on yours as I do mine... The worst sound on the planet is a click when you expect a bang. Next to a bang when you expect a click...
    I agree to a point. A competent loader should be able to load ammo with no problems. Finding a competent loader is the issue. I have loaded for a select couple friends but then I insure I have there weapon to measure chamber and work my loads up and use there componants of choice. I do understand where your coming from though.

    A .45 is not a bear gun and never will be a bear gun. Invest in a decent revolver of larger poportions that can handle the task if needed. I understand there is cost involved but life insurance cost yet we pay for it and never get to use it... If you have to take the .45 I would look and compare ballistics on 200 and 230 grain bullets. Little lighter will help speed it up and maybe get more penetration with a quality bullet.
    Be sure to shoot several rounds of whatever you choose. I have found some cycle great and others fail to cycle depending on the HP or RN.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Thank you all for the thoughts and ideas. As i stated in the original post, I understand the 45acp isn't the bear pistol of choice. thats why the .375 is first backed by a .300wm. its just the icing on the top.

    With more thinking, I'm with you all on not shooting someone elses handloads. Of course anything i plan to shoot in the field i will thoroughly test through my pistol at the range to ensure it cycles.

  11. #11
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spdcrazy View Post
    Thank you all for the thoughts and ideas. As i stated in the original post, I understand the 45acp isn't the bear pistol of choice. thats why the .375 is first backed by a .300wm. its just the icing on the top.

    With more thinking, I'm with you all on not shooting someone elses handloads. Of course anything i plan to shoot in the field i will thoroughly test through my pistol at the range to ensure it cycles.
    If it were me, I'd run some of the DoubleTap's and see how they perform.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  12. #12
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,601

    Default

    Of course there is the grizz that hiker killed a couple years ago in Denali with his 45acp.
    http://www.newsminer.com/news/alaska...8d457d948.html
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  13. #13
    Member duckslayer56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland...not by choice
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    You could contact Sterling at Arctic Ammo in Palmer, he could probably work something up for you, or at least give you some ideas on some ammo choices.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,816

    Default

    I still think your best bet is the Double Tap Hard Cast, FLs.

    You are probably familiar with shooting your 45, and like you say it is backup for the backup.

    **************************************************
    This is the heaviest and deepest penetrating 45ACP load available anywhere. Safe for all 45ACP pistols rated for +P. Not recommended for Glock and HKUSP pistols because of the polygonal rifling.. A perfect woods and hunting load for your 45!

    Caliber : .45 ACP+P

    Bullet : 255gr. Keith Style SWC Hardcast Lead

    Ballistics : 875fps - 434 ft./lbs. - 5" bbl.
    Box of 20rds.

    ***********************************************
    (Box of 50 rnds is $50.60) The bear should croak before you use the whole box.


    I wouldn't trust the FMJ ammo because, reportedly it doesn't penetrate too well. I theenk you need the SWC or FN type ogive for better penetration.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    61

    Default

    I think you all are correct. Cast is the way i was heading unless someone knew something i didn't. and ive heard good things about the double taps.

    There will always be stories of ppl doing near unbelievable kills with inferior weapons, both successful and unsuccessful. Id rather be the successful one if i have the chance.

    (side note, i'm extremely happy with my 300grains of fury from my new .375! first time shooting it today)

  16. #16
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    Give the casts a try for sure, but remember they are useless if they don't feed properly in your gun. A mag issue under duress would suck.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spdcrazy View Post
    (side note, i'm extremely happy with my 300grains of fury from my new .375! first time shooting it today)
    I love shooting mine! Most people think I'm crazy though!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    61

    Default

    yes the feed issues might kill the deal. A gunsmith will be working on my 1911 sometime this year or next, and maybe then could relive any feed problems. but thats not going to be before spring 2014 bear season. plus i don't expect to shoot cast/double taps often.

    limon, my .375 took all the thunder away from my 300wm. and the only thing that can prob top the .375, is a 45-70. which i will buy next.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spdcrazy View Post
    limon, my .375 took all the thunder away from my 300wm. and the only thing that can prob top the .375, is a 45-70. which i will buy next.
    I don't know if you reload or not, but reloading for the .375 is REALLY fun, lots of bullet weights and styles available, it can be a much more accurate rifle than many expect!

    Its possible to reload it for relatively cheap shooting too once you have a decent supply of brass.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I don't know if you reload or not, but reloading for the .375 is REALLY fun, lots of bullet weights and styles available, it can be a much more accurate rifle than many expect!

    Its possible to reload it for relatively cheap shooting too once you have a decent supply of brass.
    I don't but i saved 10/10 shots fired for future reloading.

    generally i have thought i don't shoot enough to reload, but... at 5 dollars a whack, i'll look heavier into it! great winter project too. sucks i missed out on the rcbs press on here for 60 bucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •