Thread: Ice auger

Default Ice auger

Anyone ever flown with an auger strapped to their wing strut, if so let me know if you have ant pros cons or pointers. Thanks

No not an auger but 2 moose antlers and 2 caribou antlers in strong winds and turb. that only western Alaska can provide. Tried mounting a full mount with hide attached walrus head. Thought better about that as the lifetime struts were flexing to the max while taxing on that one. Recommend cloth underneath to protect paint. Depending on struts would watch carefully on taxi. If no major flex u should b good to go. But if u have to ask u prop shouldn't do it.

Technically you'd need an external load permit, which is really a restricted category airworthiness cert that's issued to the pilot and plane. I've heard talk that the restricted certs are not going to be issued any longer but can't say if it's true. It seems the field approval process at ANC FSDO has changed again and now routes approval requests to Juneau. The same may be true for external load stuff. Sometimes the FSDO can't approve something locally and tells a pilot so. That doesn't always mean it can't be approved, just that the approval process is different than it had been. FAAST used to have a general page about external loads but that link is dead. Essentially it said that snowshoes, rifle scabbards, and pack frames had been evaluated and were accepted to fly external without a permit. Other things require one.

From the "would it fly" side of things? An auger would be a simple external load.

Quote Originally Posted by akarrows View Post
    Anyone ever flown with an auger strapped to their wing strut, if so let me know if you have ant pros cons or pointers. Thanks
    Yes. A couple times.
    Didn't know it was there.
    Its faster to throw inside if you can.
    good luck with the fishes.

See Mr Pid's post about Ext Load permits….

Supporting Member

ANC FSDO used to have a handout about external loads on the pamphlet holder located outside their secure door.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Technically you'd need an external load permit, which is really a restricted category airworthiness cert that's issued to the pilot and plane. I've heard talk that the restricted certs are not going to be issued any longer but can't say if it's true. It seems the field approval process at ANC FSDO has changed again and now routes approval requests to Juneau. The same may be true for external load stuff. Sometimes the FSDO can't approve something locally and tells a pilot so. That doesn't always mean it can't be approved, just that the approval process is different than it had been. FAAST used to have a general page about external loads but that link is dead. Essentially it said that snowshoes, rifle scabbards, and pack frames had been evaluated and were accepted to fly external without a permit. Other things require one.

From the "would it fly" side of things? An auger would be a simple external load.

I'd be interested to hear if the external load document is still on the rack at FSDO. If somebody's passing by 36th and C maybe they could check? I'm curious about whether the policy change is real and if the FAA killed the web link as a result.