Thread: PWS Big Bear

Default PWS Big Bear

Well the big one didn't get away this year. I shot this bear with my bow at 20 yards (BowTech score again) while sneaking up the trail to my stand at about 10 PM. The bear made it about 10 yards before expiring.

Have not measured the skull yet but from nose to tail with the skull on the bear measured over 7 feet 2". From paw to paw 7' 3" and that is without stretching it.

Thought I would share my pictures.

You know what they say, it is better to be lucky than good.

Default PWS Bear Pictures

Here is a picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

NICE! I've been looking for him all spring. You beat me!!!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Beautiful bear!! Congrats!!

Nice job!!! He is a pretty bear.

Default Bear

WOW, what a bear. Was down that way myself. I got a nice one, but yours is HUGE. Congrats on a really nice bear.

Steve

Nice bear! I bet you'll remember that hunt for a long time.

Default Great hunt!

Thanks for pics and posting....
    Frank

Very nice bear
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Mark

Good job, Rob. That's a true trophy.

Let us know the skull size.

nice bear,he is huge!

Nice bear, good job.

oz
    il vaut mieux être bon que la chance

Default Great Bear

Congratulations, a great bear. Thanks for sharing.

Default The REST of the story

I had some more time so I thought I would share the “rest of the story.”
    Last Thursday night I came home for work and suggested to my wife that we take the kids for a boat ride over to the bear stand so I could re-bait and hang a tree stand. She thought that sound like a good plan but said that they would wait on the boat while I went to shore to take care of my duties. She also reminded me that our nine-year old daughter would be staying on the boat. You see my daughter is a “daddy’s girl” and wants to hunt and fish with me all the time which really thrills me. Last spring I took her into a stand with my four-wheeler in the middle of the day and we saw a total of five bears on the trip including one over aggressive young boar that decided that false charge us a few times. Because of this and a few other bear “miss-happening” she thinks I should not take our oldest to bear stands. I continue to argue, “She will be safe this time I promise.”

We loaded up the kids and headed out in PWS to the bear stand. By the time we arrived in “No-Tellum Bay” I had convinced my wife that I would take my pistol, dog food, tree stand and my daughter that I could really use her help. I also promised I would leave her on the beach next to the raft and if a bear came out she would jump in the raft a paddle out to the boat. Believe it our not my wife went for it, I knew there was a reason I married her.

After arriving on the shore I told my daughter that I would hurry up the trail to inspect the bait and would be back to get her. Forty yards later and fifteen short feet from the bait I discover a bear was occupying the bait, and it was a large bear. My 50 gallon drum disappeared behind the bear as it straddled the bait licking molasses of the top on the barrow. Then the bear stopped and looked my way and I quietly sneaked off back to the beach. I loaded my daughter back on the boat and explained to my wife I was going to go back and shot the bear with my bow but then I discovered I forgot to grab my bow. At this time I also discovered I also forgot the bullets to my trusty 41 mag. Pistol and had the bear been aggressive my only chance would have been to out run it.

So we headed back to the harbor and on the way I called my hunting partner and told him to get his gear ready. Shortly after, we were loaded for bear and headed back to no-tellum bay. My partner and I walked into the bait to discover the bear was sleeping on a down log above the barrow. The “right shot” was no present so I decided to sneak around and get above the bear and my partner would be my eyes watching the sleeping bear. The bear sensed something was up and began looking in my direction sticking his head into the air trying to smell me. By the time I was nearly into the right position to make a shot, the bear decided it was done fooling around and began to aggressively warn off any intruders. It had me pegged at 20 yards. I closed the distance trying to find an opening to thread an arrow through the brush and found about an 8 inch opening. My partner began to move to my side thinking if we were getting charged he should be next to me. The bear was facing me head on while I was at full draw, I choose not to take that shot and finally it turned enough to get a good kill shot. I released the arrow and saw it disappear in the shoulder of the bear. It headed out over the downed log.

After a 30 minute wait we carefully went to track the bear. Upon arriving at the down tree we discovered the bear only went 10 yards before it died. A perfect (lucky) shot. We began to realize how “BIG” the bear was when we went to roll it over. I am 6’1” and 215 pounds and I needed help to move it into the proper position. About an hour later we have remove the quarters and back strap and loaded that into my pack and my partner suggested I take it to the beach and transport it to the boat while he packed up the hide, skull and knives in his pack and he would be to the beach shortly after me.

When I arrived on the beach I discover one chamber in the two chambered raft was flat. So I proceeded to remove my pack, lay my bow and pistol on the pack and sit one the good side of the raft, paddle to the boat and pump up the deflated side and return for my gear. After pumping up the raft, I looked over to the beach to discover another bear was standing above my pack on the beach. I thought great, a pack full of bear meat, no bow and no pistol, and oh no, my partner was going to walk right into this new bear. I started hollering and screaming, “Bear, watch out for the bear.” Luckily my partner heard my cries and started screaming too and the bear on the beached paced back and forth until it finally decided it had enough and disappeared into the brush.

Upon arriving home at 2:00 am my wife meets me at the garage and says, “I been up thinking about this, you are replaceable but our daughter is not. If you think you are ever going to talk me into letting her go bear hunting with you will have anther thing coming!”
    Well there is always next year…..

Default Opps..here is the attachment

Lets try this picture.

Very cool!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Very Nice

I would not say you are lucky, just that your hard work payed off. I have one of those big boys still at my bait and I already tagged out so I have a guy I am going to take to hunt it this weekend. Was the hide still okay? Good job.

Default Sweet!

Very nice bear! Congrats!