Thread: New barrel design

Default New barrel design

I cut out a slot on the barrel A little bigger this year to invert to hold the barrel tight against the tree. Then put 1 1/4" 90 degree emt through the top and bottom. I will put a chain through the emt then use some all thread to tighten it up and put a lag or two into the tree for tightness. I also drilled some 1/2" holes and welded some 1/2" emt through the barrel to keep the browns from crushing it. I did this last year and it worked out great. Just want to make a few changes and hole size a little bigger about 5 ". Just welded a pipe into the hole to try to protect the arm hair and put a nice rounded edge. Any one got some advice or new ideas.

Wow that's fancy! Looks really nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great job,, way to think "outside the barrel"
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Great idea & looks great. How does your trap door work to load/fill your barrell? I'm looking for a new design. Good luck on shooting bears at your stand. MET

I used an old RTJ ring gasket from work for the hole on my barrell and that worked pretty good.
    They rings come in all different sizes and have smooth edges.
    If I do it again I have some ratcheting chain binders to securly chain mine to the tree.
    I used an open top drum with a quick latch ring to secure the lid.
    I like your idea of the pipe welded inside to keep it from getting crushed.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I will post a few pics tonight if I get a chance of the door. I welded some all thread to the barrel and used a pice of 1/8" steel for a door with some hinges. I put some silicone on the inside of the steel to keep the water out. Then use wing nuts to open and shut the top. I also drilled some one inch holes in the bottom to let some popcorn fall out when shaken. I think this design will keep the barrel off the ground and keep the squirrels out. My wife had a good idea about filling all the emt holes with peanut butter or honey that would slowly drip out with the heat.

Didn't get any pictures of the top tonight but found one here on my phone with last years model getting banged around by my number one on the hit list