Thread: 2013 ski doo expedition 550 F..... Opinions please..

Default 2013 ski doo expedition 550 F..... Opinions please..

My neighbor is thinking of selling his. I have a ski doo SWT Skandic 2010. I would like a sled for the wife to ride and also a backup ride if mine goes down. It looks as if it would fit my bill. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I can't really reply on the 550F but I just bought the LE. I wanted a Widetrack machine. So my only drawback would be the 15 vs 20 inch track. If it isn't being used as a heavy freight sled then it should be great.

Quote Originally Posted by AkGrumpy View Post
    I can't really reply on the 550F but I just bought the LE. I wanted a Widetrack machine. So my only drawback would be the 15 vs 20 inch track. If it isn't being used as a heavy freight sled then it should be great.
    Thanks. It only has 50 miles on it so it's almost new. I use my skandic for hauling firewood (24 inch track) and for going out predator hunting. I am interested in this sleds motor and chassis reliability. And this will not be a replacement 'hauler' but still be a capable sled for the wife to follow me, and/or a sled for me to ride after predators, fun, or if I'm out and my skandic breaks down. We could both ride out on the expedition. It looks like it has a similar comfy seat like my skandic for two. The wife has only limited riding experience. That being out with me on occasion she likes to make the long ride back home.
    Also... Any idea what a new 2013 priced at??

Found this site which answered some of my questions on this sled. Very helpful link I'll try to post for those interested.
    http://snowmobiles.findthebest.com/l...ion-Sport-550F

any more responses appreciated!

I own a 2008 Tundra 550F and a 2011 Expedition sport 600 ACE.
    I love both machines. Granted my ACE gets double the gas mileage of the 550F but that is to be expected.
    The 550F motor is quite reliable and not known for any major problems I am aware of. I get about 10-11mpg on the one I have.
    My ACE gets 20+mpg but requires a battery to start it.
    The expedition sport is a great sled and you might surprise yourself on what you can haul with it.
    I think it would be a great sled for your wife if the price is right.
    http://www.snowmobile.com/specs/ski-...port/550f.html
    Looks like the base model listed for $8,399
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Thanks Chris,...... Am thinking I can get this for 7k or less. Test drive tomorrow.

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

The 550 is a great motor. There have been a few issues with seizing a piston on one side ( can't remember which) due to not allowing the engine to warm up properly. I have a 06 SWT with the 550F and over 8,000 miles on the original engine with no problems and a 2008 Tundra 550F. I have always let them warm up good before running and have kept the jetting on the rich side, factory jets. (uses more gas but doesn't burn up) Also, check the oil pump setting every year to keep lined up with the correct mark. The cable seems to stretch over time so it needs adjustment.

Bought it on Saturday. $6500 and it had 40 miles on it. Good deal?

Little late to ask if good deal.LOL. I bet he paid a lot more for it than That! As long you don't expect to do what your SWT does. your good, Friend mine wife has one of those machines and loves it. That 550 been around long time.But it will eat 1/2 again much gas as your V-800. Heres link if want to read more. Enjoy.
    http://www.dootalk.com/forums/

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    Little late to ask if good deal.LOL. I bet he paid a lot more for it than That! As long you don't expect to do what your SWT does. your good, Friend mine wife has one of those machines and loves it. That 550 been around long time.But it will eat 1/2 again much gas as your V-800. Heres link if want to read more. Enjoy.
    http://www.dootalk.com/forums/
    Correct u are! Already doubled the mileage that was on the machine. It does indeed suck the gas.