Thread: World Wide Angler?

Default World Wide Angler?

Looked for their shop off of Lake Otis and didn't see it anymore? Did they move to another location?

I believe they closed the business sometime last year.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFly7 View Post
    I believe they closed the business sometime last year.
    That is correct..... Gone.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Mike closed up shop and, last time I spoke with him, said he was heading to BC to do some guiding. Can't say I blame him: less stress, more fishing.

Wow that's too bad. Nice little place they had there. They were always polite and willing to share good info with me.

Yeah, this thread is like opening up a a wound.

I scraped the Cabelas stickers off my jeep.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I did some cleanup in this thread. Let's keep the comments focused on the topic, and keep the negativity out okay?

As to this shop, I too regret the loss. I was in there a number of times as they are not far from where I live. Seemed like a nice place. I think it would be a mistake to blame their closing on Cabela's or Bass Pro though... neither of those stores are even open yet, and WWA closed last fall. That said I think there will certainly be some fallout among local businesses that cannot make their business model work in the changing market. Tons of Alaskans already shop both places through mail order, so I'm not sure the impact will be as deep as some say.

Just my opinion.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks Mike!

When it comes to Big C and the Big B, folks should do a little price comparisons. On fly tying stuff they're usually higher priced than local stores. Same for lots of other things. Then you get to pay shipping on top. Worst of all, when you walk into the store you get waited on by guys having zero experience with the outdoor stuff they're selling.

It's nice to walk into a big box and see the selection, but it's gonna cost you. And heaven help you if you need a question answered.

Local stores have NOTHING to worry about if they're friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post

Local stores have NOTHING to worry about if they're friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.
    Good point!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    I did some cleanup in this thread. Let's keep the comments focused on the topic, and keep the negativity out okay?
    Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    Seriously?
    Yes. Seriously. If you wish to dialogue further about this decision, please discuss it with me privately.

Thank you.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I figure it's the nature of business, a Darwinian kind of thing. Change is the nature of the world. If you can't evolve with the times then you shut your doors. Capitalism, Amerka, Land of the Free, home of the Big Box Stores! Like it or not, it is what it is.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

I won't argue about the decision to clean it up but I think some valid points were lost. I am all about supporting local business as I think corporate 'Merica is taking our country away from our roots; however, I feel that a local business needs to bring something to the table. Many times these businesses can't match the prices of the large chains so customer service and local knowledge is how they thrive but some local businesses seem to feel entitled to be supported strictly because they are local.

Mossy's Fly Shop is a perfect example of a good business that brings something to the table and Mike will continue to get my support and referrals. Others...not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AKFreezerFiller View Post
    I won't argue about the decision to clean it up but I think some valid points were lost. I am all about supporting local business as I think corporate 'Merica is taking our country away from our roots; however, I feel that a local business needs to bring something to the table. Many times these businesses can't match the prices of the large chains so customer service and local knowledge is how they thrive but some local businesses seem to feel entitled to be supported strictly because they are local.

Mossy's Fly Shop is a perfect example of a good business that brings something to the table and Mike will continue to get my support and referrals. Others...not so much.

Plus one for you sir! As for WWA I can say that i didn't especially like going there…..bad experience more then once, don't miss them. Now Mike's place I would miss! And I will continue to drive by those other places to go to his store even though Mike's place is an hour away form my house.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Plus one for you sir! As for WWA I can say that i didn't especially like going there…..bad experience more then once, don't miss them. Now Mike's place I would miss! And I will continue to drive by those other places to go to his store even though Mike's place is an hour away form my house.
    Cue above post to be deleted....

Fine line between negativity and the hard truth I guess. Sounds like there is at least a bit of consistency on both accounts.

I will miss the 907 Fish logo though even though it was getting a bit watered down. My last hat is getting pretty beat up and nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    Cue above post to be deleted....

LOL