Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prop. 133- Statewide Archery Certification Requirement Passes

Thumbs up Prop. 133- Statewide Archery Certification Requirement Passes

Prop. 133 sought to require International Bowhunter Education Program certification for all big game bow hunters, statewide. The original proposal was amended twice and finally voted into regulation as amended.
    · Amendment #1: The regulation will go into effect on July 1, 2016, to allow bowhunters statewide to attend classes/testing and become certified.
    · Amendment #2: Big-game hunters statewide must, while hunting big game, carry a card indicating proof of successful completion of a department-approved bow hunter education program. Also, after July 1, 2016, big-game bowhunters contacted in the field by a peace officer must provide proof of certification upon request.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Seems like it might be convenient if there was a way to have your cert number listed on your hunting license. People getting their cert after getting their license but before hunting could still use their card for proof, but then could have it on their license the next year and on. I hate having to carry around too much documentation when hunting. Too easy to damage or lose when wandering the outdoors.

I suppose you could write your IBEP number on your license yourself so at least you had the number for them to look up. I think I will make a copy of mine and tape it to the back side of the bow limb so it is always there.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

What does getting your certification entail? What I really need to know is, do I have to hire a bushplane to Kodiak and then a flight to Anchorage and back or can I get certified over the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by Longbow6360 View Post
    What does getting your certification entail? What I really need to know is, do I have to hire a bushplane to Kodiak and then a flight to Anchorage and back or can I get certified over the internet?
    I don't believe there is any way, at least not currently, to get the full certification online. You can do the classroom portion online, but still need the field test which has to be done in person.

Oh good! Now no one will miss or wound animals with bow AND the govt will have yet MORE bureaucracy to have to fund. It never ends.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Cod, you sound like you're against hunter ed. But their record speaks quite well for itself. What's the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Cod, you sound like you're against hunter ed. But their record speaks quite well for itself. What's the issue?
    Well, volunteer to give folks hunter ed that want hunter ed. What I am against, is just what I wrote (and u read). More bureaucratic BS.
    Now I ask u... What's the pt of this 'ticket'? To save game? To make sure someone can shoot a bow? U tell me. What is the point of this? What diff will it make? I say NONE. How was it we got by w/o all these yrs? Really, what is the pt? Go ahead and give seminars if someone wants to. Go to the seminars IF U WANT TO. But MORE govt intrusion IS NOT the answer. Explain to 'longbow 6063' why he has to spend $1000 and the time to do this cert thing. He's probably been bow hunting for yrs.

And, who's 'record' do say speaks for itself?

Hunter Education is in place nationwide and has been around long enough to have established a record of saving lives. A lot of them.

Hunter Education is in place nationwide and has been around long enough to have established a record of saving lives. A lot of them.
    U addressed NONE of the questions posed. So here's one more for u... Why is it "govt" always must be involved? Don't/can't people 'do' for themselves anymore? Ask not what your country can do for u, ask what u can do.... Think about it, won't U?

Longbow has a valid point. Even given two years lead time, it does pose significant difficulty for residents of the bush and villages to get this certification. While the proposition may have noble intent, it ends up being discriminatory and exclusionary. Although the classroom portion can now be completed via computer, scheduling and traveling to the field day portion is a burden and hardship for those who live remote.

Longbow there isnt much involved in the field day so if you could get even a half dozen people together its possible a class could be arranged where you are but certainly Kodiak will have a field day.

COD i understand where you are coming from but the idea from the prop 133 is that it will put all archery hunters on an equal field, now yes I would have liked to see an amendment to grandfather in persons who could deminstrate a history of bow hunting or exemtion for those that can show undue hardship, ie longbow assuming he only bowhunter on his island, but it is what it is. All I can suggest is that you submit a proposal for next uear to reverse or limit it. Prop 133 was submitted by an indivdual so why not submit your own, also I would ask if you were at the BOG meeting to voice your opposition to it.

Well I might as well sell my bow and give up any idea of bow hunting. Used to be, you could at least hunt with your bow during the general gun season, if you so desired, without the card. Now, I can't even do that.

This is just one more barrier to people wanting to enjoy the outdoors. Moreover, I am almost certain that some bowhunter advocacy group came up with this. Good job bowhunters, just keep making it more and more difficult.

I'm with cod, this is a waste (I do have my bow cert) look someone who wants to bow hunt is going to spend the time to be proficient, the only exception is weapon restricted hunts where I could see someone buying a bow under the off chance they see a moose on farmers loop or something, that's wear a bow cert has value. I do agree with hunter ed for new young hunters (where ethics and safety are discussed more) but bow cert for any big game hunting doesn't accomplish anything.

I will be submitting proposals to amend this new rule. I'm not only certified, but I'm a bowhunter ed instructor and I see this as a complete failure out here in the YK Delta. How in the world are the guys in our 39 villages going to get certified? Should I start flying out to every village to certify the 1 or 2 guys in each village that hunt with a bow? I listened to the board and am wondering...*** were they thinking on MANY proposals.

Quote Originally Posted by rcburn89 View Post
    Longbow there isnt much involved in the field day so if you could get even a half dozen people together its possible a class could be arranged where you are but certainly Kodiak will have a field day.

COD i understand where you are coming from but the idea from the prop 133 is that it will put all archery hunters on an equal field, now yes I would have liked to see an amendment to grandfather in persons who could deminstrate a history of bow hunting or exemtion for those that can show undue hardship, ie longbow assuming he only bowhunter on his island, but it is what it is. All I can suggest is that you submit a proposal for next uear to reverse or limit it. Prop 133 was submitted by an indivdual so why not submit your own, also I would ask if you were at the BOG meeting to voice your opposition to it.
    For the record I have been shooting bow since I was about ten, forty some yrs ago. I was in one of the first, if not THE first ever Cert training given in Anchorage about 89 or 90. My recollection of that class was having to sit one of the instructors down to explain the proper kill zones on black bear targets... As the guy was about to flunk several archers with hits he deemed non fatal.
    Beyond that...... Explain your statement above.. "Will put all archery hunters on equal field". What the H does that mean??? What specifically are we really trying to accomplish with such rule? Why can't people who want to IMPOSE their beliefs just Volunteer their time to helping others?
    Please answer my specific queries and convince me. Otherwise the 'dogooders' need to stay out of our lives!

This will sound selfish as h*&^....But all I see this doing is lowering my odds of archery only tickets...I wanted those hunts so I went out and got certified, now that everyone HAS to be certed, everyone's going to put in for them. Ya, selfish as all*&^%, I know.

Someone should submit an amendment to require Bow Certification only in the same units as Hunter Ed is required.

I believe that we should do away with the proficiency portion of the IPEP test. The proficiency portion of the test only shows that a person was able to shoot well enough on one day of their archery career to pass the test. After they pass the test and get their certification there is nothing to ensure that they will ever shoot their bow again but are now allowed to bowhunt statewide forever. A bowhunter that is ethical will ensure that they can shoot proficiently at all times requiring practice. I feel that the IBEP certification is a way for Fish and Game to have a PR campaign that says to the public “we are ensuring that bowhunters meet some type of standard” so that the fiasco from the archery moose hunt on the Anchorage hillside many years ago doesn’t happen again. If we keep the online portion of the bowhunter certification ADF&G can still say there is a certification in place but bowhunters in remote locations can still pass the class without undue expense of traveling to a place that has proficiency testing.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast