Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody shooting a big bore powerhouse dangerous game stopper?

Default Anybody shooting a big bore powerhouse dangerous game stopper?

What ya got

What kind of loads you shooting.

Kill any game with it?

My new 416 Ruger is sitting at the gun shop. Came in late today. Pick it up in the morning.

Dealing on a 460 Weatherby, should know more in a few days.

Anybody else like messing with big bore rifles?

I love the big bores. Get the 460 wby, you won't be disappointed. 500g at 2600 fps and 7500ftlb energy. Oh ya 100lb of recoil! Actually mine has a break and it's comparable to my 458 lott.

416 Taylor is a great Alaskan game buster. Stevens 200 long action build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

My .458 wm saved my ass a few times during my big bear guiding days a few years ago
    . 600 gr. BARNES. Just my choice.
    Goo

Yup guided bears with a 416 weatherby for a lot of years. Love that thing but don't use it much any more. Since I don't believe in safe queens I plan to do a little spring hunting with my 460 weatherby

My 416. Oh and yes they are lefty so the 416 is pretty rare..

This is my 460 lefty

I used to like shooting the big stuff until my neck gave outÖ. .416 Rigby was my favorite with the .375 coming in a close second.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Yup guided bears with a 416 weatherby for a lot of years. Love that thing but don't use it much any more. Since I don't believe in safe queens I plan to do a little spring hunting with my 460 weatherby

My 416. Oh and yes they are lefty so the 416 is pretty rare..

This is my 460 lefty

Hmm. Seems familiar!

I've always considered it big bore, but comparatively, my ruger no. 1 in .375 I'd a rubber band launcher! Excited to use it none the less. And lefty to boot!

I have a 416 Rem but I don't shoot it much. It isn't much fun to plink with and I seldom run into anything that is that hard to kill.

I thought this was another ar thread

375 always gets my vote.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by Spdcrazy View Post
    Hmm. Seems familiar!

I've always considered it big bore, but comparatively, my ruger no. 1 in .375 I'd a rubber band launcher! Excited to use it none the less. And lefty to boot!
    I have shot a 30-378 Accu-Mark for 7-8 years. Just love the gun and took a bunch of Whitetail, some nice bucks with it and a few Mulies.

Just got the 416 Ruger home. Going to give it a good cleaning and maybe put the scope on it. I picked up a Leopold VXIII 1.75-6x32 for it.

I have had pretty much all the 375's made. Had a nice Win Super Express in 458. Shot a huge Whitetail buck with it.

Looking like a 460 Weatherby will be a go.

Shoot a 500 S&W. I have had it for 6-8 years now. Love it.

Now, looking to find a place to hang my hat each summer/fall some place in the woods. Just turning 50 and it's time to start living my life. I have raised two great sons, been married 30 years, a ordained minister...hunted and fished all my life. I need some place to get away from pavement and concrete. Farmed for 30 years, raising draft horses, beef and every other thing that can eat and crap....LOL

Love my 50-90 Sharps, although not a dangerous game rifle, it should do the trick on a brown bear, it sure kills moose well. Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

A dandy moose Jim, fun killing something with a classic round and gun like that. Congrats

Default 1886 50 express

Image009.jpg Shot this bear north of Dillingham with a 50 ex 450 gr Barnes original and 69 gr. of 3031

kbarnes,
    Nice to see another guy out there taking game with a classic lever rifle. aint nobody beating your "stopping power", that's for darned sure. aint nobody beating your style either. I bet things stop happening real fast with that rifle and cartridge combo. rep points inbound lever gunner.

Shot some stuff with my 458 WM, including my biggest blacktail from Kodiak. I shoot 350gr bullets at 2500, much less recoil than the 500gr stuff and a better trajectory to boot. The 510gr softpoint factory loads do tend to roll up blackbears like jackrabbits I'll admit.

I have a good friend who uses the 460 as his big bear gun, he shoots 350gr Barnes TSX at 2900fps and flat crushes stuff. His last Kodiak bear was taken at 12 paces with his 50-140 sharps straight. One 450gr Barnes to the left eyeball shut him down in a big hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Spdcrazy View Post
    Hmm. Seems familiar!

My son and I both have 30-378 Accu-Marks and his is a lefty.

I had two 458 lotts, but I was a slow learner so ended up with my current stopper which is still a work in progress, 500 Jeffrey on an Enfield action.

My starting load was a 600 gr cast bullet over 100gr of RL 15 for 2200 fps.

I have a couple boxes of 570 gr Barnes X blue meanies, I figure a working load of 2200-2400 fps should do the trick. I refuse to hunt anything that requires more stopping power, but I think such critters have been extinct a long time.

The one thing I learned with the 458 lott is once you start pushing a 500 gr or heavier bullet 2100 fps or faster, you are in another leage of recoil vs. lesser rounds. Not to diminish the 416 as it is most likely the best balanced heavy medium bore for dangerous game in terms of power, shootability and trajectory. When you get to and exceed that recoil threshold, it takes a tremendous amount of concentration not to let the recoil bother you and you need to limit your shooting sessions.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I had two 458 lotts, but I was a slow learner so ended up with my current stopper which is still a work in progress, 500 Jeffrey on an Enfield action.

My starting load was a 600 gr cast bullet over 100gr of RL 15 for 2200 fps.

I have a couple boxes of 570 gr Barnes X blue meanies, I figure a working load of 2200-2400 fps should do the trick. I refuse to hunt anything that requires more stopping power, but I think such critters have been extinct a long time.

The one thing I learned with the 458 lott is once you start pushing a 500 gr or heavier bullet 2100 fps or faster, you are in another leage of recoil vs. lesser rounds. Not to diminish the 416 as it is most likely the best balanced heavy medium bore for dangerous game in terms of power, shootability and trajectory. When you get to and exceed that recoil threshold, it takes a tremendous amount of concentration not to let the recoil bother you and you need to limit your shooting sessions.
    I just bought a Mauser barreled action the other day. I was told itís 505 Gibbs but faintly in green marker on the rough turned barrel I found Jefferys. So I donít know what the heck it is now, got to slug it now and see.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Unfortunately there are a couple different versions of 500J in terms of chambers, brass and dies and the 505 can be even more convoluted with some having been built with .510" barrels.

I'd planned on building a 600 Overkill, but after putting some rounds through the Jeffrey I found my recoil limit. One of these days I'll get around to stocking it and making up a mag and working out feeding and extraction. I did have it throated for 50 bmg pills. Loaded up a 690 gr AP round under 100 gr of H-4350 and let a friend set it off. Not so sure were still friends
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I just bought a Mauser barreled action the other day. I was told itís 505 Gibbs but faintly in green marker on the rough turned barrel I found Jefferys. So I donít know what the heck it is now, got to slug it now and see.
    Some fun stuff your working with there. I have built a couple of Mauser's myself. a 30-06, a 338-06 and a 264 Win mag. My son and friend built a 35 whelen Imp together. Had a sweet German slender tapering octagon barrel on it. I was having a 460 Weatherby built on a 1917 Enfield Winchester action. I did a lot of the work opening up the action to fit the large round. Then took it to a smith to finish barreling it and such. After more then a year with nothing getting done on it. I picked it back up and sold it. Along with the half dozen boxes of 460 ammo. Frustrating, when gun smiths take a lifetime to do things. Independent suckers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast