Thread: Ship creek boat fishing

Default Ship creek boat fishing

I am wanting to row my drift boat up Ship from the mouth. Is this possible on the incoming tide. I would then just go out with the tide. Has enyone ever done this or do you need a motor. Thanks
    Klickman

I saw a guy try this in the late 80's or early 90's and the tide going back out took him out in the inlet and had to get a rescue from a Zodiac. I probably wouldn't advise it.

Default boat in ship

Having a canoe or small raft in ship creek is possible. I have taken a canoe at the mouth to the opposite side at peak season to fish the far bank in a manner that gives me room to breathe and no tangles. The tide is not an issue with a boat that is easy to steer and paddle. However, falling in could be dangerous because of the water temp.

Going upriver in moter boats is really unpopular with the bank folks dragging bait and worms. In Ship creek, the conflict does not seem worth it.

Default driftboat in ship creek

we did this a few years ago before the culverts were out. we put in just when the tide was high enough to launch at the ramp went up fished, and nearly got stuck. We new with the large tide drop we needed to leave just as the tide started to go. You have to row out and around the mud to get in there and vice -versa on the way out. We pushed it to the max and almost couldn't get back to the ramp. But fun and doable. Definitely more breathing room, but you will also get some comments as people can and do throw way across the creek. Even dead in the middle we got a few off comments.

I wold have a small enigine atleast. That tide rips going in and out. You get caught in that next you know you will be in Homer.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Well I guess we will have to bring some herring also. If we get caught in the current and have to go to Homer at least we will catch some halibut.
    klickman

I know of two guys who did it in their youth with a home-made outrigger. They ended up over in the Pt. McKenzie area if I remember the story right. For the record, I only know one of the two, and he is not really the brightest bulb in the socket.

We could take a jet boat and go up river! Do you think Elmendorf will stop you and ask for IDs?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I would not advise of it due to the fact of the amount of people that fish it. i also dont think it would be anymore productive than bank fishing. i also would not be worried about the tides as long as your smart about it. but i would go with a no as the mass quantity of people are launching lead at you.