Thread: powerline pass trail area small game hunting

Default powerline pass trail area small game hunting

Are there sections on powerline pass trail open to small game or grouse hunting with bow? I am not sure if it's a management area or considered outside restricted areas in gmu 14

The only part of Powerline Pass that is legally open to hunting would be the sections in the Indian Creek drainage. Even there you may find restrictions based on distance from established trails - on that point I'm not certain.

Get a copy of the regulations and study them again and again...and then again a few more times. While asking for advice here can be helpful, you should look to the regulations first and last to verify the legality of what you're looking to do. Incidentally, while there are a few areas near Anchorage that can be hunted legally, you'll find that you'll steer clear of such regulations the further you get from town.
    Last edited by Brian M; 03-19-2014 at 14:15.

Here is a direct link to the small game hunting regs for Unit 14C which covers the area in question: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...me_summary.pdf

According to this, the only method of hunting allowed in the portion of Powerline Pass on the Anchorage side is falconry. Look like things open up a bit more once you get to the other (Indian) side of the pass.

It is also described pretty well in the general hunting regs here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...pdfs/gmu14.pdf
    Look specifically at note 3 for the Anchorage Management Area which is where Powerline Pass (anchorage side at least) falls. The boundary between Anchorage and Chugach State Park Management Areas appears to be right at the summit of Powerline pass, but not 100% sure it lines up exactly.

Like Brian said, best to double and triple check, especially when in such a potentially visible area. I would follow up with a call to ADF&G before actually going out just to ensure I was interpreting things correctly.

Whoops! I mistakenly wrote that Powerline Pass drops out into Bird Creek, but it's Indian as anchskier mentioned. (It's nice to have the ability to edit my own posts - I can make it look like I never make mistakes. )

With all due respect, hunterwannabe, it seems like most of your questions so far have been focused on hunting in or near populated areas (such as turkeys in neighborhoods, etc.) I think you'll get a much better start in your hunting pursuits if you alter your way of thinking. Start with small game options at least 1-2 hours out of Anchorage in unpopulated areas. You'll find fewer hunting restrictions, generally more plentiful game, and you'll be less likely to run across other trail/area users.

Thanks for the responses guys, it was pretty useful.